PDA

View Full Version : Goose Season

Beagler
08-19-2001, 02:18 PM
Yes it's almost Goose season in Indiana!!!!! September 1 will be the first day.This will be my first goose season so I can't wait! Any other Indiana Goose hunters out there???(or wanna be goose hunters??

dongoins
08-19-2001, 03:39 PM
I ain't got no desire to hunt them cause I don't like to eat them, but down here on Patoka is a great place to hunt.

Beagler
08-19-2001, 05:49 PM
Never tried um. I Think it's was a try! What do they taste like?? Duck? I've had duck and figured it would be a simalar taste.

dongoins
08-19-2001, 06:45 PM
Boy, I bet I catch hell for this answere but you asked. They taste to me like what swamp gas smells like. I guess lots of folks like them though. Now you don't want to go by me to much for I don't like duck or wild turkeys either.

BuckShotJon
08-20-2001, 08:27 AM
From NY and our season opens on Sept 1 also. Yup i can't wait either, I love to hunt Geese. As far as the taste, to me there are only good if soaked in vinegar for a night and then grilled on a shiskabob setup rolled in Italian dressing. Don't bake them they taste like Don said SwampGas!

Good Luck in Indiania!

Jon

brumy
08-20-2001, 09:52 AM
from pennsylvania:
resident goose opens here on 9/1 too! now if only there were some cut fields to hunt! hope conditions improve between now & then. as to taste - try this:
breast out the goose, then wrap them & place in freezer until they're just about frozen. then cut the breasts in thin strips. marinate in yoshida's gormet sauce & a little brown sugar for about 48 hrs. place striips in a smoker for about 4-5 hours. that's the only way!
good luck 9/1
brumy

08-20-2001, 10:24 AM
I think they make good jerkey as they are usually tough as hell to begin with. We also cook the breasts in the crock pot till they fall apart and then slather them in BBQ sauce and it's like pulled meat BBQ. That is palateable as well.

Don, are there geese on Patoka in September?

dongoins
08-20-2001, 10:43 AM
They have a large sanctuary and a lot of them never leave all year. They are protected there but they move to places that are not protected. I would say they are a few in Sept but a lot better later om.

kt
08-20-2001, 12:31 PM
yes shoe leather, they are my most favorite animal to hunt, least favorite to eat, I must say everyone making jerky out of them has got the right idea. They do make great jerky. And in september definatly just breast the birds unless you have a good time in pulling tons of pin feathers. To the man who posted about not seeing any fields cut , keep scouting, here in south PA during the next week alot of dairy farmers will chop the winter wheat and some of the green corn to feed to the cows. So keep looking good luck to everyone who sweats there butts off in september chasing scrawny birds, they are another ball game compared to the migrants who come in the fall.

Comandrblack
08-20-2001, 10:21 PM
Well Don you can always take that 4 ga that Blane is sending you (you are arn't you Blain????) and go swampgas hunting.
You think they taste bad you ought to try a Prarie Chicken lol, tastes a lot like Liver smothered in the whole sage plant roots and all. God their terrible. Don't ever put onions or orange slices on them it makes them both taste just like the praire chicken. This is another one of those throw in pan cover with wine throw away the bird and drink the wine things. After the prarie chicken the Goose tastes great.