Hunt Chat

Hunt Chat (http://www.huntchat.com/index.php)
-   Archived Posts (http://www.huntchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Reproduction Smith Carbines? (http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=25071)

Mad Reloader 01-06-2003 07:15 AM

Reproduction Smith Carbines?

Yesterday I stopped by the Filli Pietta website, getting a heads-up from them (the primary manufacturer) on that JHP or JSP in Cap & Ball concept...

:rolleyes: So I thinks to myself..."as long as I'm here, let's poke around a little--see what all they have."
:confused: As I was doing so--found an interesting item, listed under the heading of "Shotguns" for some reason...

:eek: SMITH RIFLES AND CARBINES, IN CALIBRE .50 SMITH!

Woo!

So I decided to run this up the flagpole in Adam Helmer's AOR of Cap & Ball---seemed the most appropriate forum.

Any of you guys SEEN these?
Better yet, anyone tried one?
Any good?
If so, how much are they running for? And who's distributing?

BTW: Buffalo Arms Co. has cartridge casings for the Smith rifle! :D

Adam Helmer 01-06-2003 12:30 PM

Mad Reloader,

You never cease to amaze me. Many thanks for the new post on my site. What was the verdict on JHPs in the Cap & Ball revolver? I have not seen any Smith Rifles or Carbines. I assume it is one of the many Civil War Carbines that had a debut in the CW. I suspect it is rimfire as most were in the CW era. Interesting bit of historic nostalgia.

Adam

Jack 01-06-2003 01:21 PM

For an illustrated article on Smith carbines, with an emphasis on their use in skirmish matches today, try this website. BTW, Tom Kelly, the author, is a noted authority on CW arms.
http://www.civilwarguns.com/9812.html

MR, try this website for several CW repro arms.
http://www.navyarms.com/html/cw-union.html

Jack 01-06-2003 01:33 PM

This website will give you some pictures and prices of original CW carbines. A heckuva lot costlier than the repros. Good photos if you click on the small photo.
http://www.civilwarpreservations.com...yType=carbines

Mad Reloader 01-07-2003 07:46 PM

The Smith, as I seem to recall was one of those separately-primed numbers similar to the 1865 Maynard--but even less like a modern cartridge in appearance, with a very bulky cylindrical tube-like case, which could be of brass, rubber or of gutta percha (some kind of early plastic--like the old Webley grips)

I'll post the answer I got from Signore Alessandro Pietta {That's right! :eek: MISTER Pietta! One of the actual Pietta brothers} on that JHP/FMJ in C&B thread....real soon. :D

Mad Reloader 01-09-2003 06:57 AM

Jack:

Thanks for posting the article/link on the Smith. (Ooooh, I want one I want one I want one)

Wonder if 'twould be legal for use during ML hunting season in AZ? {GF's relatively compliant w/r.t. my getting weapons, but put her cute little foot down at my suggesting purchasing a .577 Snider-Enfield.}

Well, must look into this. Heheheheheh! :D

Jack 01-09-2003 10:32 AM

MR, you'd have to read the fine print of AZ hunting regs for the definitive answer on using a CW carbine in ML season.
In NY, a breech loading rifle is not legal for ML season. You could use it during regular rifle season.
Always kinda wanted to get a deer with a Spenser.............
'course, I'd have to buy the Spenser first:D

sheepy 01-09-2003 05:00 PM

Jack!!

Those big ol rimfire cartridges might be hard to come by.

Leadbutt 01-09-2003 06:04 PM

For awhile my brother in -law toyed with the idea of reinacting and bought a repo Smith,they are a great little carbine and fairly accurate. we used the rubber shells from Dixe

Jack 01-09-2003 07:07 PM

Sheepy, I think original rimfire Spenser ammo IS priced out of sight, and probably wouldn't fire, anyway:D
Actually, there is a conversion breechblock that some reenactors use to fire central primed ammo in the Spenser. Can't say I know much about the details of it, though.

Mad Reloader 01-09-2003 08:05 PM

Jack.....:D

Buffalo Arms also has CENTREFIRE cartridge casings for the Spencer conversion unit...:)

{Your wife/GF is gonna HATE me for telling you this! Heheheheh!}

sheepy 01-10-2003 06:46 AM

Thanks guys. Not doing the enactor thing I didn't know about the center fire conversions. Saw a neat coffee grinder civil war rifle once I still think about. My old Sears repro catalogs have Spencers listed for just a few bucks each. TMR would be in "time machine" heaven. The Sniders are less than two bucks bored out as smoothbores.

Mad Reloader 01-10-2003 07:01 AM

Sheeps:

To quote Lynrd Skynrd...

"You got that right!"

Yep, jest draw about $100-200 from the ATM, get it converted to old bills ($1s & $5s) get that Englander dude who wears a hat and a long scarf with the Police Box shaped time machine to go back to the main Sears store then, go on a shopping spree--

That would be SOOO sweet! :)

Need to check the AZ Game & Fish regs about breechloader black powder....I seem to recall Sharpses are okay, so why not Smiths....:D

sheepy 01-10-2003 08:14 AM

$200 would just leave you sick. SAA's are like $12.50 and for under twenty you have those Winchesters. 92's,73's, Hi Walls well you get the idea. OH! Doubles. Parkers,LC Smiths and on the top end price wise the Greeners. 87.50 for the plain grade. Well it was fun for a minute?:mad:

Mad Reloader 01-10-2003 06:13 PM

Okay, maybe a few hundred...

On coffee break at work called AZ Game & Fish, got the scoop.

Jack:

Looks like you guessed correctly. Breechloader blackpowder--Smith, Gallagher, Maynard and even the Sharps~~not considered MUZZLE LOADERS under AZ regs. (aw, nutz!)

Worse yet--the Colt and Remington cap & ball revolvers? Also proscribed under AZ regs for ML hunt seasons. Single shots only!
:(

Well, not going to gripe about that...here (Modern Muzzys--that's another story).

As you folks have surmised, Thee Mad Reloader has an affinity for old-timey arms and all...and methinks someday I'll get that Smith anyhow (It's a big bore, it's a funky weird relic cartridge, it looks kewl....and there are TWO places I can get cartridge casings for it! Unless I find a .577 Snider-Enfield or .50-70 trapdoor for cheap, I think I've found my BIG BORE BLASTER!) :D