Hunt Chat

Hunt Chat (http://www.huntchat.com/index.php)
-   Archived Posts (http://www.huntchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   35 whelen or ? (http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=13736)

bsoutlaw 11-26-2001 04:08 PM

35 whelen or ?

I have a Stevens (Savage) 110E in 30-06 that just does not want to shoot wery well any more and I was thinking about having it rebarreled to 35 whelen. Does anyone have any comments on this caliber or is there other good choices that would be easy to do.

Deer hunting in ND requires us to shoot at 200 yards or more, so I do need a rifle that will reach out and do its job. Any comments would be a great help. This would be my first wildcat cartridge so I would also be interested in some off the wall ideas just to be different.

11-26-2001 04:13 PM

9.3x62

This is another excellent round that many hunters I know, swear by.

You would have no drama's re-chambering your rifle in this calibre too!

Compare ballistics!

11-26-2001 06:13 PM

The 35 Whelen is one of the all-time great wildcats (and has also been legitimized by Remington with factory rifles and ammo). It may be more gun than absolutely needed for deer, but it's a perfect deer/elk/moose gun.

Another very good wildcat you might consider is the 338/06. A titch less recoil and some truly excellent bullets (particularly the Nosler 210gr Ballistic Tip.) The regular 25-06, 270, 280, or the 280 Ackley Improved would also be great choices. I'm trying to stay with the 30-06 as the parent case here, so you wouldn't have to make any other changes to the rifle except for the barrel.

You might wish to upgrade to a better trigger (from Rifle Basix and others), a new stock and a better scope. In fact, the scope may be the whole problem with your poor shooter, but don't let that stop you from getting a new gun built!

11-26-2001 06:30 PM

Good choices!

The .35 Whelen, 9X62, and .338/06 are all excellent cartridges for what you might be looking for. However, the .280 Remington is thought by many shooters to be the quintessential rifleman's cartridge for the all-around best big game cartridge for hunting ANYTHING in North America. Like Rocky said as well, any of the cartridges mentioned in any of the posts above can be "Ackley Improved," but this makes conventional rounds like the std .35 Whelen, .30/06, .280, etc suddenly become wildcats. The .338/06 is already wildcat however, so Ackley-improving it might actually be an advantage! Luck! :D

11-26-2001 07:26 PM

35 Whelen would be a great round for elk and bears and moose, as well as deer.
If you want a deer rifle, especially for 200 yards+, 25-06, 270, or 280 might be better. If you want a wildcat, the 6.5-06 is an impressive performer, and easy to form brass for. Look in Nosler's #4 manual for 6.5-06 data.

Catfish 11-26-2001 08:12 PM

bsoutlaw

The .35 Whelen is and excelent round, and if your lookin for a factory round would probly be your best choice. If you are willing to go to a wildcat there are others that are better. One thing to rember is that a straight wall case is more efficent than a bottle necked case so if you want to push heavy buttels with the least amount of powder to the greatest velosities get as close as you can to a straight walled case. If you think that you can use something with alittle more knock down power than a .35 Whelen I would suggest that you look at the Hawk line of cartridges. I have a .411 Hawk and love it, but it would be a poor choice fro someone that has no experiance with loading wildcats. The .375 would be a far better choice. The reason I say this is that it is farr easier to form brass for the .375. Eather way you might want to go to this web site and take a look. www.z-hat.com. He built my .411 on a m-77 Ruger action and it`s a fine gun.

JJ 11-27-2001 06:34 AM

.338-06 would be my choice but the game will not know the difference between the Whelen or the .338-06. But since Weatherby has now legitimized the .338-06, their will be factory ammo available albiet expensive at first. I suspect that other manufactures will soon have ammo available and I'm hoping companies such as Remington will soon chamber the 700 in this caliber. Anyway either are excellent. A friend uses his Whelen for deer loaded with 250 grain Barnes X bullets! You can "Ackley Improve" any of these calibers really and still shoot factory ammo with good results, plus its the easiest way to form "improved" cases. Thats a nice option especially if you end up in a pinch and need to find ammo at some corner store. Sounds like a fun project, good luck!

Lee S. Forsberg 11-28-2001 09:51 PM

35 WH or?

Just for Deer 6.5x06 or for Deer and something bigger 375WH.

Mannlicher 12-01-2001 06:09 PM

Might as well consider the 8mm/o6. I shot one for years, and it always came through. You do have to hand load, but then, that is half the fun. It will drive a 150 grain Hornady at over 3000fps, and that is with a .323 bullet, not a .30. If you like a 170, you can easily get 2800fps +.

duckster 12-02-2001 08:36 PM

Go with the Whelen. It is a excellent round, fully capable of anything in N. America, something I wouldn't personally do with a .280 or .270. I have also used my Whelen in Africa with great success. I think the .338-06 is a good cartridge as well, but you have a advantage with the heavier bullets and factory ammo choices. With the 225 grain bullets, the Whelen is a easy 300 yard rifle, so don't be misled that it is a short range "brush buster" Get one, you will love it!