Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 01-11-2004, 09:57 PM

.308 cast bullet loads ???

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of loaded rounds in .308. He also gave me the mold. It is a Lee mold C309-113-F. I went to the range and fired these rounds out of an old converted Mauser that I have, it has been rebarreled to .308 and I was to say the least impressed, the loads 5 different all grouped 1" to 2". Here is the problem and my questions. I have no idea what the loads were. I know that they were very mild compared to regular .308 hunting loads and surplus rounds I have shot in this rifle. Does anyone have any starting points for me? I have several powders. I have looked in my Lyman #47 reloading book and it shows some loads. I have Unique, and Blue Dot powders. I also have AA2230 and AA2200 powders. I have some H335. I have some Reloader 10, Reloader 7, Reloader 15 powder and that is all that I have on hand. I would be using this for paper and maybe an occasional coyote. Also, do I need gas checks? I would like to keep the velocity at 1600 to 2000 fps. I have some lee Alox lube on hand. Any Ideas with what I have? Do I need to go with different powders?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:47 PM

What grain bullet is that? The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has 12 different bullet combo's 113-200gr. It shows many loads.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:24 AM

Quiq, from the numbers of the mould, that would seem to be the 113-gr flatpoint. Good choice.

With the powders you have on hand, try 10.0 of Unique. That should give you something around 1800 fps with a cast bullet (a bit less with the popular half-jacket Plinker bullet). You can get away without a gas check at that speed.

I'd also suggest that you ask the friend what the loads were, and then simply duplicate them.

If you cast more bullets, use straight wheelweights. Tumble the bullets (when cool) in the Liquid Alox, place on wax paper and set outside to dry for a few days. Then dust them with a pinch of powdered mica to make them easier to handle (adds lube factor, too).

I use large pistol primers in all my rifle cast bullet loads. The milder the primer, the better the results I get. At the low pressures of these loads, pistol primers are plenty strong.

If you contemplate other powders, try 7.0 of 700X, 10.0 of Red Dot or Green Dot, 7.0 of Clays, 7.0 of Tite Group, or 7.0 of Nitro 100. (Hint: Try 7.0 or 8.0 grains of any powder listed for 12-gauge trap loads.)

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 01-12-2004, 01:03 PM

Kirkned,

I have shot cast bullets in my .308 arms for many years. Your loads are apparently 113 grains. My best .308 cast bullet is the Lyman #311467, that is a multi-groove semi spitzer weighting about 170 grains and I apply a gas check and use Aalox lube. My favorite powder is about 12 or 13 grains of Unique. I cast my bullets from wheelweights with some tin added and I quench them right from the mould into a bucket of cold water for greater hardness. I have never seen a recommendation in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for using pistol primers, so I use CCI Large Rifle primers in all my loads.

Adam
Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 PM

.308 cast bullet loads???

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice I'll give them a try and report on the results. I hope this was not a fluke and that I can repeat the results.

I would ask my friend but he was sent to Iraq, so this is not an option right now. When he gets back you can bet I'll be asking him what those loads were.

Rocky how much snow is up in the Valley now? I was there over Xmas and took a cow elk up by Wolf creek that was on December 20th it had not started to snow then, but it was still a hike to get her. I shot her with one of your reccomended loads for the 300 Winchester mag. you gave me when you worked at the shop on 25th. It has always preformed well for me.

Thanks again guys I always know where I can come for great advice on anything that is firearm related.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:58 AM

My past haunts both of us, huh?

We got 16" on Dec 26th, and it snowed every day after that for over a week. I got a total of 36" at my house.

I tried to get out for fox on Jan 2, and got stuck on the way to the property. I was "up to the headlights" stuck...crawl out the window stuck...truck resting on the pan and wheels dangling stuck... I dug and I dug, and I dug. Then the sun went down, and the soft snow set like concrete. I ended up walking out and found a guy with a jacked-up diesel 4x4 truck (a Ford, Skinny!) and he jerked me out with a chain. He wouldn't take anything for the favor.

There's a box of Federal Premium 30-06 165 Ballistic Tip ammo gonna show up on his doorstep real soon, though.

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 01-13-2004, 09:20 PM

Glad to hear you make it out alright. Your lucky he was there to help. Good to know that there are still good people out there willing to lend a hand, but most of the hunters I've meant are that way, good people that is.

If your looking to get out of the cold your always welcome at our place and I'm in the book or you can get me at the BLM, Phoenix Field Office just ask for Kirk.

I and the boy will be chasing Javalina in February. I think we will be using the .357s with 158gr. cast Semi wadcutters pushed by 6.0 grains of Unique, sparked by a CCI 500 primer . This load took a nice bore last year at 46 paces and is very accurate from both my Taurus and Rossie 6" barreled pistols.

Thanks again,

Kirkned
Old 01-21-2004, 10:36 AM

Well I made it to the range yesterday and tried several different loads. On Saturday I bought some other powders. I had Unique, and Clays on hand. I bought a pound of green dot and a pound of Tite Group. Then spent several hours at the bench. I started at 7 grains and worked up to 10 grains in grain increments with the Clays, Green Dot, and Tight Group. The Unique I started at 10 grains and also worked up in grain increments to 14 grains. 10 rounds of each sparked by a CCI 200 Large rifle primer, then did the same with 10 rounds of each sparked by a CCI 500 Small pistol primer. This gave me 2 five shot groups of each powder weight, primer combination. Well it not seem to matter what powder or what primer I used as all the loads held right at 1.9 inches for all rounds fired. The best was 9.5 grains of Tight Group with a CCI 500 primer it produced one five shot group of 1.25 inches and one of 1.32 inches for an average of 1.285 inches. Next was 9.5 grains of Tight Group sparked with CCI 500 primers. First group fired 1.34". Second group fired 1.37"average group 1.355". The worst load that I fired was 7 grains of Green Dot with a CCI 500 primer first group 2.42", second group fired 2.49" for an average of 2.455". My best load from Clays powder came form 8.0 grains with a CCI 500 primer, first group 1.40" second group 1.37", average group size 1.38". My Best load with Unique was from 11.5 grains sparked by a CCI 200 primer, first group 1.52", second group 1.49" with a called flier that opened the group to over 4". Yes when I jerk, I really jerk. My best Green Dot load was 9.0 grains sparked by a CCI 500 primer, first group came in at 1.65" and the second group measured 1.73", for an average of 1.69".

At the range I fired a 1 shot fowler then shot the groups the gun was cleaned between each powder/primer change, NOT powder weight charge. So as I fired the Tight Group powder with CCI 200 primers, I fired all weight charges then switched to Tight Group with CCI 500 primers the rifle was cleaned at this point and a fowler was fired.

It did seem that the Unique powder loads perferred the CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers as the groups opened in all cases when the same powder charge was sparked by a CCI 500 Large Pistol Primer. Well I am more than pleased with this rifle and these powders I will next try playing with the Tight Group Powder starting at 9.0 grains and working up to 10 grains in 0.1 grain increments. Not that I am not pleased with a 1.25" group but I may be able to tighten it a little, and after all I'm having a blast doing it. Hum; if I could get it down to 1 moa I may have another varmint gun, as is it will do just fine on Coyotes.

Thanks for all your help.

Kirkned

Last edited by Kirkned; 01-21-2004 at 10:52 AM.