Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 01-08-2002, 08:20 PM

CCI 22 CB ammunition

I bought a box of this today (100rds). There was a box of CCI short hollowpoint right beside it. My question is, is it short .22 ammuntion. I've haven't used this ammunition before I only realized it didn't say short on when I got home. What does CB mean?
Old 01-08-2002, 09:34 PM

Post cb ammo

Hi.

As far as I can remember, CB stands for "Conical Bullet" so it should have a pointed tip yes??

generally not as powerful as some .22 short ammo but still good for some things.

-neil
Old 01-09-2002, 12:19 PM

The original CB round used a case that was even shorter than the Short. It used no powder, but did contain an extra amount of priming compound. There was also a similar round that used a round ball instead of a pointed bullet.

The round ball load is gone, and to simplify manufacture, the CB load is now assembled using the same brass as the Short. But the bullet is lighter, and the powder charge smaller. It is intended as an indoor practice load, but has some outdoor uses. I've used them on backyard pests up to squirrels, and it does a fine job. They WILL penetrate a tin wall or roof, so they are not so good for barn pests, however.

The best use for them is to train first-time shooters, especially kids. A Ruger Single Six or Bearcat and a box of CBs is the best way to introduce a kid to handguns that was ever invented.

BTW, make sure you clean the cylinder or chamber of your gun after you've fired a lot (100 or so) of CBs or Shorts. Shooting them can leave a tiny ring of burned powder/lube residue in the chamber than will make it difficult to chamber longer rounds afterwards. Just turn a regular .22 brass brush in the chamber area by hand for a bit.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Rocky

I can only rember back into the 1950`s, but CB`s, while always being shorter than shorts, have had a small powder charge in them. There used to be another round that was shorter than CB`s that did not have powder but they were called Floberts or BB caps, or maybe they were different and there was 2 round smaller than CB caps, but I think that CB`s have always had a small powder charge.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:35 AM

That could be right, Catfish. I remember shooting both BB and CB caps as a kid, and (if memory doesn't fail - HA!) the BB ones were much less powerful. But I seem to recall that they had the same extra-short cases. I never broke one down to see if they had powder, though.

The BB kind would hardly penetrate wood, just dented it; but the CB would pierce half-inch plywood. I sure wish I still had a full box of each. They'd be worth a pile today!
Old 01-10-2002, 04:50 PM

Rocky

Wishes can come true. I think that Eley still makes the CB`s. I`ve got a full box of them in the vault that are 20 yrs. old, but I think you can still get CB`s, I don`t know of anyone makeing bb caps any more, but some of the might even still be imported. Also the more i think about it Floberts were different from bb cap, they had a pointed bullet.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:34 AM
JB in SC

The Flobert's were both the CB (Conical Bullet) and BB (Bulleted Breech), invented in the 1830's by Louis Flobert. It was just a percussion cap with a rim added using a fulminate (primer) for propellent.

Dynamit Nobel still makes both versions (they still come in a round tin). The BB has a 16 grain round ball and the CB has a 20 grain (I believe) conical bullet.

I shot many hundreds (maybe thousands) as kid, I remember they had a copper case and were tiny.

The CB as we now know it came on later as 29 grain loads in a .22 short case at velocities in the 700 fps range.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:20 AM

Yep, JB, that's exactly the way I remember them! And D-N still makes them in that round tin? Awesome! I'm gonna order some just for the nostalgia factor.

The current version is by CCI. They actually make two versions, one on a Short case, and another with the Long case, bother with the 29-gr roundnose. Don't know why they do the long version, but I saw some of the the CCI CB Long on sale at the gun show this past weekend -$4 a hundred.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:38 PM
JB in SC

RR,

I was also surprised to find they were still being made. My favorite version of the current CB is the discontinued Remington CBee (Long version with the 29 grain bullet), it seemed a tad more quiet than the CCI in my rifles. They also made a short version, but I like the long version a little better in my match chambered rifle.

The Colibri and Super Colibri (manufactured by Aguila) are two primer only rounds that are available and use the .22 Long case with a 20 grain conical bullet. They are 350 fps and 550 fps respectively and very quiet. With the exception of the case, they appear to be very similar to the Flobert CB's.

The Super Colibri hits about 6" low at 25 yards from my standard LR scope setting, and if my eyes were better they could no doubt be seen in flight. It seems like a good round for 10 yard shots but the trajectory is a bit too poor for accurate shooting at further distances, IMO.

JB