Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 12-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Devildog

Deer Antler Whistle

After my Grandfather died my brother received a neat antle whistle of his. It did not seem that complicated and we have now recreated it. First the Pictures then I will try to explain how to make it. It was alot of trial and Error.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010003.jpg (86.7 KB, 2852 views)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Devildog

whistle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010007.jpg (88.4 KB, 2728 views)
Old 12-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Devildog

deer whistle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010009.jpg (90.4 KB, 3120 views)
Old 12-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Devildog

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DEER ANTLER WHISTLE

1. First cut a piece of antler to about 2 1/2 - 3 inches long. I prefer to keep the tips, (kids could get hurt with the point arond thier neck) & I tend to give thicker base antler whistle as gifts. the further down the tine the thicker, bulkier and heavier the whistle will be. I have found that kids think bigger is better and they like the big thick whistles, and it is more hand filling for them and durable.

2. Drill a 1/4" diameter hole into the thicker end of the antler. ONLY drill down ithrough the center (running the leangth of the antler) ONLY drill to depth of 7/8" to 1". The longer /deeper the hole the lower the "TONE" of the whistle will be. The shorter the hole the higher/ more shrill the tone will be.

3. About 5/16" from the end with the whole drilled in it use a hack saw to cut straight down, about half way though the antler, and into the whole you drilled.

4. Then go about another 5/16ths down the antler and make another hack saw cut at an angle towards the first cut.

5. Now you need a piece of 1/4" diameter hardwood dowel about 5/16 of an inch long. split or shave about 1/3 to 3/4 of it off. And test fit it into the whole. It should not extend past the cut that is straight down into the hole. if it sticks out to far on the end where you blow then you can sandit down. This is the tricky part. You may need the 1/2 adowel, or 1/3 or 3/4. It all depends on how deep the whole is and the size of the notch you made is. It is best to split different dowels and test them in the whole before you glue it in.

6. when you get the tone you want, use wood glue or super glue to hold it in place. I have learned that when kids use them alot and get the wood really wet with LOTS of saliva (YUCKKKK!) I now use a small paint brush or even a Q-tip to cover the hard wood dowel with polyeurathane, or skippers varnish. A dab will do ya and helps the dowel stay in place and keeps the wood and glue from softening up from SALIVA!

7. Near the opposite end of the mouth piece drill a 1/8" hole from one side to the other across the antler . thread a piece of 36" leangth of raw hide through this hole and tie a not about 1" from the whistle then another at the ends of the raw hide.

8. Extra work if you want: The 3rd whistle is how the first few were made, whith flat ends. the other 3 were given a shallow scoop or lip cut by using a dremmel tool with a sanding bit. It gives it a more custom look and is comfortable to rest on your lower lip. do not shape the end untill the dowel is dried in place. Because as the last hand held picture shows you will need to also cut and shape the dowel. Regardless of how you shape the mouth piece use a dremmel tool or sand paper to bevel the edges around the mouth part so there are no sharp edges.

YOUR DONE!!! GOOD LUCK, ENJOY AND BE SURE TO ASK ME IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF ANYTHING. HOPE I EXPLAINED IT ALL WELL ENOUGH.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:28 PM
HuntChat Sponsor

Thanks Devildog! Me and the kids are going to make a bunch as gifts for all the city dwelling cousins.

pb
Old 12-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Devildog

Let me know how they turn out!