Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 11-20-2004, 08:29 PM

Does Scent eliminting clthing really make a diference?

Does Scent Eliminating clothing really make a diference
I wear it and personally I see no diference
I think Deer hunting all consists on the wind direction because I have worn a fully body suit of Scentbloker clothing and still had deer wind me when the wind changes direction
Please Reply
Old 11-20-2004, 10:15 PM

scentblocker clothing

First I have to ask, are you regularly activating the suit in a dryer for at least 1 hour??? Anyway, I wear Scentblocker Plus , I have the undergarments, jacket, pants, hat, headnet, and gloves, along with a pullover sweatshirt that is scentblocker and I have had excellent results with it. I don't think you should expect deer to totally not pick you up at all, you still have to pay attention to wind direction and hunt accordingly and try to stay down wind, however the deers reactions when they get downwind is significantly less severe than if you didn't have the suit on I have found. They will come within 30-40 yards and you can tell they are smelling something but they are obviously confused as to how far away it is and if it is even a threat, and this happend just tonight. It was raining and their sense of smell under those conditions is phenomenal, they were downwind and I still killed one at 20 yds downwind, however the others that came later would not commit to come the extra 10 yards I needed for a bow shot. Other times I have had them come in from downwind and be completely fooled, and not even get the slightest bit jumpy.

I say it works as it was intended, but is not the magical solution some people think it is. I still religiously follow a scent free routine of special soap, sprays, even mouth spray, and I pay heed to the winds and thermals, its a deadly routine. lol
Old 11-20-2004, 10:26 PM

WT,

I don't think that I could ever get that anal about deer hunting. Sure, I am anal about a lot of other things, but I just don't know if deer hunting will ever get to that extent for me. Then again, I don't bow hunt as much as you either. Glad to see that you are still killing them because there are plenty to be killed. I'll try to kill a couple next Saturday and maybe Sunday, but that might be the extent of my deer hunting for this year. Maybe we can get a goose hunt in next week some time.

As far as the suits are concerned, they are probably a good idea for bow hunting but not necessarily a necessity. However, I really don't think they are necessary for muzzleloader or firearms hunting.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:18 AM

There are many products for hunters designed to separate them from their money that are based on the fact that most people have no comprehension of how animals perceive the world, and how senses in humans and other species work. Hunters are also "superstitious" about anything that they try with success, and like all superstitions, a single uncontrolled experiment proves nothing at all. Anecdotal evidence is not proof of anything.

Drug and explosives sniffing dogs can smell those things completely wrapped up in plastic bags. Deer have very similar noses. Don't waste your money.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:06 PM

Good point L. Cooper.

I was 30 yards from a deer today wearing my casual clothes and the deer didn't have a clue that I was there. I wasn't hunting or that would have been a dead deer.

Also, some of you guys should check out a post by Good Ol Boy. He was out hunting squirrels in no camo and without scent blocker and a deer walked right up to him, looked at him, and continued to eat. In the meantime, he unloaded the gun, put in some buckshot and got some meat for his freezer. Granted, it might be a lot tougher to do that on a big buck because a buck doesn't get very big by being that stupid.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:56 AM

I have to say yes, it does make a difference. Just try hunting hogs. I've had deer walk up to me while I wore clothes washed in scent eliminating soap. Hogs - even when I am down wind of them, they still smell me in those clothes. When I put on my carbon clothes, they can't smell me.

You just need to decide if you are going to hunt the wind and if you care to spend 4 to 5 times what regular clothes cost.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:58 PM

I have used scent cover, and gone without. I have worn normal clothing, and scent blocking clothing. So far, I haven't seen a difference either way. I don't see orkill any deer regardless what I try...

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Catfishing Mazter

Im with WT on this one, I am very anal about my scent. I do use the wind to my favor too, but alot of places i hunt have more of a swirling wind. So I have found that being Head to toe in Scent lok is a good thing. I also spray my outerwear too with scent eleminator & use Coon piss on my boot's when needed too. I try to use everything to my Advantage. Im not the Hunter i use to be years ago, So When I do Hunt I want to make sure I maximize everything. 99.9% of the time Im hunting in a chair on the ground, I have had Deer walk within inch's of me before, Bucks & doe's. I dont sit over bait piles, I hunt the bedding & feeding trail's & I almost never get winded, But I do get saw quite a bit. But Im sitting around more downfall's too, I just need to hide my outline a little better. But Yes Im a firm believer in the Scent Loc Clothe's.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:27 PM

I try to stay as scent free as possible and use the wind. I routinely have deer during the bow season come within 5-10 yards of my stand and not smell me. I probably had 8-10 deer come within 5-10 yards of my stand this year and not smell me. I really cannot afford that scent Lok stuff. If you can afford it and by using it you concentrate more on being scent free, then i say go for it.

vashadow
Old 11-24-2004, 05:26 PM

Scentblocker clothing cheap!!

If anyone is interested in purchasing scentblocker type clothing I suggest looking on ebay and many of the other online auction sites, I have picked up items at half the retail cost at cabelas and such. You would be surprised to find you can buy it for almost as little as any other good camo garment. Give it a try.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:13 PM

Uhmm...I've heard, but never tried, that Mil-surp chem suits work well, too. You can get them from sportsman's guide or at the flea market for less than $15, so it couldn't hurt.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Mannlicher-Schoenauer

I killed deer long before camo hunting togs were available. I was killing deer long before scent blocking togs were available.\
Where I hunt, around farms, the deer are very much used to the scent of humans. If you were to go WAY out in the boonies, it might be worth the money, but where I am, scent blocking clothing is just another way to seperate the hunter from his wallet.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset