Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 09-14-2001, 09:06 PM

Question Bear Bait

This year we can now bait for Bear on privite land in Arkansas. What's a good bait?
Old 09-14-2001, 09:54 PM

Some states place restriction on what can be used, so you will need to check that. Here's what has worked for me in the past.

Meat scraps of any kind, beef tallow, etc. (note: some, perhaps all states prohibit using game animal parts)

pastries of any kind, bread, donuts, etc.

Grain and oats coated in molasses and honey

Pour liquid smoke onto anything up high so the wind can carry it. This one thing has garnered me more bear than anything else. They will come to this smell like they are on a string.
Old 09-15-2001, 11:22 AM
grayghost

Thumbs up

Bacon grease is another good "additive" to bait. Good hunting, grayghost
Old 09-25-2001, 09:20 PM

Question Placing Bait

I'm hunting in panhandle of North Idaho, and I want to get a cinnamin or big black bear.

What is the best place to put bait?

I've been told to place it in the tight mountain draws near the top by a saddle.

Do you think dog food and bacon grease would work?
Old 09-28-2001, 11:06 AM

I don't know about Idaho, but dry dog food with molasses poured over it works great in Michigan. I've got three bears that I've been feeding for two weeks of the season. They hit the bait piles every day. The problem is they only want to hit the bait at night. However, I'm going to start taking up the bait at night and leaving only a dribble to interest them, then put it back out at daybreak and see if that brings them in earlier.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:23 PM

Bread & Pastry

bear seem to realy like bread products, if you have a day old store in your area that is a good place to get them cheep. for pennies you can fill a pickup.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:41 PM
bigcountrybc

Lots of things work. Especialy older stuff(the older the better).
A scoop of jam
meat(any kind) if possible put it in a 5gal pail for a week or more
breads(moldy or not)
grease(i've always kept a jar in the fridge for bacon fat and such)
and i'll say it again STINKY FISH. rotten,wretched,totaly gross fish. My friend puts herring or sardiens in a jar with a little water,seals it up, and leaves it out in the sun for months.Its so gross but it works great.
make sure you don't put more than a few mouthfulls.just enough to put a taste in their mouths and want to come back for more.
table scraps and sweets are like bear crack.
Let us know how you make out, and what works best for you.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:41 PM

Well I'm back from my second crack at the bears. My problem was that they were hitting the bait pile only at night. To solve that problem, I started taking the bait with me when I left at nightfall, leaving only a few scraps to let them know that bait was there and that if they wanted it they would have to get there earlier. The first night I tried it, a bear came in during the night and must have been P.O.'d over the lack of bait, because he tore up my tent blind. Ripped the camo cover, and bent several of the upright poles and broke one in half. Two nights later, I had a 350 bear come to within 15 feet of my tent blind, but he wouldn't give me a shot. (I'm hunting with a longbow.) He came in downwind, instead of upwind, which surprised me. He stood off to my right about 15 feet sniffing the wind. Since I'm right handed, I couldn't get around to shoot and there was no shooting port on that side of the blind anyway. He stayed for about 4-5 minutes and then turned around and pussyfooted back the way he came. I hoped he might circle around and come in again from another direction, but no such luck. Three nights later I had a 125lb yearling come in, but I didn't want to take him, as I'd vowed only to take a bear that weighed more than I do (180lbs). Unforturnately that's the last bear I saw in the 10 days. They were mainly coming in to dry dog food and cattle molasses at the three bait stations I had set up. I have to say that having a 350 bear 15 feet away from me was a real adrenalin rush, and made the whole trip worthwhile.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:27 PM
Alaskan hunting addict!

I have a guide friend that guided on Prince of Wales island for big blackies for over 20 years. He swears by rotted pears. Sounds a little strange to me but he has the filled tags and pictures to back it up!
I witnessed a blackie shoulder deep in my cooler on a fishing trip with my family. With all sorts of scrumptious things to eat in the cooler like hot dogs, sliced ham and turkey, chopped melons, marshmellows, candy bars , beer, pop and more...he picked a loaf of bread and the hot dog buns? They must have a real craveing for anything with yeast in it? Thats where me and the bear would differ, I would have grabbed the candy bar and washed it down with a beer!
Old 10-27-2001, 05:11 PM

bear bait

a couple of years a go i was bear hunting i managed to line up
some expired chickin frome a holeseller ho sold it to me for pinnes
on the pound they would have gave it to me but there big bosses said no any how it was one of the best baits i have used the only problim i had was the coons liked it to and we aint allowed to use drums or containers in mich so i started covering the bait
with logs and putting the bait in holes
i have pulled the bait in to the only problim is you dont want to do it every day becouse the bear will go to greaner pastures you just want them to think another bear is beating them to the bait
Old 10-28-2001, 02:52 AM

oats with sugar and yeast and your water mix well and you got bear brew!!! smells good, too! ( 5# sugar to every 50# sack of oats and i cant remember how big them yeast bags are at the grocrie store)

put some vinella extract or anise extract into a spray bottle with vegtable oil 50/50 mix and spray every where all around your bait site every time you rebait and hunt the stand.

dohnuts!! as many as you can get, they love them!!!

dog food works if you add honey or molasses... grease in front of your barreles so the bears leave a sent trail when they leave...

we dont like all the rotting meat and fish scraps or grease any more becuase of the stink and it brings in brown/griz bear's here in ak. it is really nice to hunt over a sweet smelling bait though, and it work very well for us...

good luck!
Old 11-06-2001, 05:56 PM

Preferred Bear Bait

Lots of good solid suggestions on this post. Don't forget to drag a burlap sack up and down all intersecting/area trails with bacon grease, it will direct them to the bait. I have seen them head down like a dog coming down the trail.
One other REAL WINNER is the use of CONCENTRATE FRUIT JUICE. Apples and Grapes are real good for this. Just pour about a can or two a day over the bait pile...makes everything YUMMY!!!