Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 09-19-2001, 08:47 PM

Question WC 872 Surplus Powder Data???

Anyone know where I can find reload data for WC 872 powder?

I just bought 8 lbs at a gun show to use in my 7mm Mag. with 26 inch barrel. The dealer did not have any load data to give out. Also my friend has a 7mm STW that eats a 1 pound powder container as an appetizer. There is a label on the 8 lb. bottle that says to use H870 as starting data.

Anyone have experience using this WC 872? Thanks for any help or suggestions. - paul
Old 09-20-2001, 03:34 PM

Paul

When ever you get this surplus powder they should tell you the canister powder nearest to it in brun rate. Every batch of WC 872 has a different burn rate, as do all of the surplua powders. If your`s says to use H 870 starting data, then use the recomended starting load for H 870 for the bullet weight you want to use. I shoot alot of the surplus powders and they work well, but you must use extreem causation and start from the begining working up a load every time you by a can of surplus powder. If you find a powder you like lay in a large supply at one time, and make sure it`s all from the same batch, so you don`t have to work-up loads so often. There is nothing wrong with the surplus powders except that you never really know what it is till after you work-up a load. Just start low and work up slow and watch for signs of presure.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:36 PM

Thanks Catfish

Thanks Catfish,

I did as you suggested and I had great success today with my 7mm Rem Mag. using 80g of WC872 Surplus behind a 162g Hornaday. Surprisingly the velocity I recorded today is exactly as indicated in the Hodgdon Load Manual for H870. (2858 fps).

This 8 lb. jug of WC872 Surplus should last me quite awhile.
- paul
Old 09-24-2001, 07:22 PM

Paul

Glad to hear it`s working good for you. You may have to load 5 grns. more or less with the next batch to get the same results, but it cheap and it works well after you find a good load.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:32 AM

The guys over at www.shooters.com chat rooms (rifle reloading and cast bullets) had a lot of discussion about these surplus powders many months ago. A search of their archives may yield some useful data.

FWIW