Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 01-21-2002, 05:11 PM

Elk in Stanley Idaho

Does anyone have any experience hunting elk and deer in the Stanley area? I may be headed out there next Oct. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:02 PM
Evan03

havent ever hnted stanlye but I know theres quite a few elk there, been up there a few times trail ridding and saw quite a few didnt see any big ones but im sure theres some there.

I hunt mostly unit 43 past oine across from baumgardner campground, try to get the late hunt every year, Ive drawn bulls on that hunt almost every other year, wich is all you can do, I took a nice 5 point on the last day of the hunt, after the first snow fall that year, didnt see much of anything till the snow.

I hunt unit 39 if I dont draw a tag since thats an open hunt, and is all so some realy good hunting, if your on horse back or willing to hike and pack in a few miles you can get up away from all the people hunting off the trails on the trail ways and honda 90s
theres even an albino bull in that unit that is seen every year but never shot, not sure why

Evan
Old 01-24-2002, 12:12 AM
grayghost

Question Are Albino's legal in Idaho?

TN recently passed a law where Albino Whitetails are no longer legal. I think that's B/S! Albino's are usually sterile and shunned by other Deer. Yes they are unique and beautiful in their own way, but a genetic accident of nature. I would have no problem taking one. But respect our game laws. Good hunting, grayghost
Old 01-24-2002, 10:20 AM
Dutch

Get off the road in any direction.....

and fight off the wolves...... Actually, the East Fork side got written up a couple of years ago as "bow hunters heaven", and now you can't go there without getting stuck in a traffic jam at the trailheads.

From what I heard, the bulls pretty much quite bugling there. Anyway, I hunt quite a bit north of there, so I'm no help, anyway.

What has happened is that the wolves have scattered the elk into small groups that hide in black holes (even more than they did before). You don't see them as easy anymore. FWIW, Dutch.