Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 02-26-2002, 03:21 PM

I found a big difference between 2F and 3F black powder.

Today the sun was bright and it hit 50 degrees by 10:00 a.m., so I went to the range with my muskets. The Lyman Black Powder Handbook ran all its test for the .54 with 3F black powder. For years I have used 2F in my .54 Renegade and my .54 flintlock Hawken. I was alone at my nearby range for two hours and shot both 2F and 3F Goex with balls, maxis and minies in both .54 muzzleloaders. I zeroed my guns at 50 and 100 yards with 3F and then shot 2F. The 2F charge was the same grain weight as the 3F charge, but the groups were 2 inches lower at 50 yards and 4 inches lower at 100 yards. I never really compared 2F to 3F and am glad I did. I keep good records and have recorded the results so I do not have to "reinvent the wheel" down the road. In the October PA musket deer season I may use either 2F or 3F, but at least I will know where to hold or what sight adjustments may be needed.

Adam
Old 02-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Garand Member

Would be even more interesting if you had chronographed them. Sounds like the 2F is giving more MV than the 3F; I would have bet on the other way around.

Semper Fi
Old 02-26-2002, 06:14 PM
The Huntinator

I have used both, but not on the same day.
I did not notice much difference.
Hmmmmm.........sounds like an experiment is brewing.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:28 AM

Shootist3006,

I beleve the 3F is giving more velocity and that is why the balls and maxis print higher. I believe the "rainbow" trajectory of the heavy .54 balls and bullets are shooting "flatter" with 3F; thus closer to line of sight. A couple club members have chronographs and maybe next Saturday I can check the speed of like charges with different granulations of BP. I am on my 13th shooting notebook of stuff that needs further research.

Adam
Old 03-02-2002, 01:50 AM
Garand Member

Question

Adam, an interesting puzzle. Hope that you can chrono the loads.
I'll be interested to know the results. If I was to guess, I'd go the other way (based on the resulting point of impact - reading tells me otherwise). At 50 yards, I'd expect a difference caused by speed alone to be minimal. What I expect is happening is that the 2F is a little hotter, faster, and that causes it to hit LOWER!! Sounds backwards but the mechanics are the faster projectile leaves the barrel quicker and is less affected by recoil. The slower loading keeps the ball in the barrel longer and it has recoiled more before it leaves the barrel.

Just my theory - I know it works on handguns but am not sure with rifles.

Keep us posted.

Semper Fi
Old 03-02-2002, 05:43 AM

Shootist3006,

I agree, faster bullets shoot lower in my handguns and cartridge rifles. But, looking from the side, the parabola (downward arc) of a heavy slug is "flattened" by a faster bullet. I believe 3F has more pressure and velocity and is flatter shooting. Wish I could make up some tracers in my maxis to see it in flight. Until then, I have recorded ny data and will be guided accordingly for this musket deer season. The bottom line is to shoot different stuff, record findings and be guided by the results. I will get a chronograph after tax time. Be well.

Adam