Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 02-27-2002, 09:23 PM

30-30 recoil from a 14'' contender

What is the recoil and muzzle blast from a 14'' 30-30? Just wondering. There are so many cailbers and options on the contenders! I think I might just start with a .22 LR barrel and work from there. =)

Ksquared
Old 02-28-2002, 05:55 AM

Ksquared

It`s alittle heaver than a full power .44 mag. If the .44 mag. don`t bother you you`ll be able to handle the .30-30. If you think that the .44 mag. is bad, you probly won`t like the recoil of the .30-30.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:14 AM
huntkng

not bad, really

i've shot T/C's for over 20 years now. my first one was a 30-30 in 10". it kicked. when i moved to a 14" 30-30 ithought that the 14" bbl was a pain to shoot off hand but the recoil and muzzle blast was completely tolerable. I move to a 358 JDJ and a other large hand cannons but quickly got rid of them because they just aren't fun for me to shoot (i still use a 30 Bower AK for deer).

if you handload then you can move up the power and recoil as you get used to the gun. The 30-30 is a fine T/C caliber. You should be able to handle the recoil with out a problem. until you get the hang of shooting it you might want to put a bandaid or cushion on the middle finger between the first and second knuckle to protect it from the trigger guard during recoil.

bill in OR
Old 03-01-2002, 10:56 AM

I find a large difference between the 10" and the 14" version, with the 10" being much more violent. It's largely the result of the much greater blast, but is also due to the reduced weight of the short barrel. The upward whip is much greater.

With a 14" bull barrel, it seems like less than a .44 Mag to me, but all recoil is subjective. I find the .375 Winchester in the same barrel length to be pleasant, but not many who watch me shoot it will volunteer to try one!

If you want a much pleasanter round with even greater effect on the other end, get a 7-30 Waters barrel. In a T/C, THAT is a deer-getting machine, my friend. And it just begs to be shot.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:31 PM

When you are comparing it to a .44 mag, do you mean a .44 contender or a 4-6 inch .44 revolver? I havn't shot a .44, but I have a friend that is 5'4'' that shoots one and he does fine. What type of noise can you expect from the contenders in a caliber like 30-30, .223, or other larger cased cals? I'm not worried about noise while im hunting or practicing, just for the others around me. Sorry I am asking so many questions=( I just dont know much about shooting handguns.

Ksquared
Old 03-01-2002, 07:06 PM

That's why we're here, K2.

All our advice is free, and some of it is worth that much LOL!

I was referring to shots from a Contnder for all comparisons. Factory loads in all calibers, too. The .30-30 (to me) is a bit less than a .44 Mag, and the 7-30 is a tad more than a .357 Mag. Muzzle blast depends on a couple of factors, but is roughly parallel to recoil. Ball powders produce a larger blast and fireball (in general) than extruded powders. The worst offenders in my tests are H-335 and AA-2520. Man, do those powders wake you up! WW748, on the other hand, is pretty mild.

In my 7-30, I shoot a lot of Reloder-12, 15, IMR 4895 and 4064. Those also work well in the 30-30.

BTW, the absolute worst kicker/blaster I ever had the misfortune to own and shoot was a 10-inch octagon barrel in .45 Colt. That barrel weighed almost nothing with that big hole in it, and it would whip back and up hard enough to almost break my wrist. I probably fired fewer than 20 shots through it before I traded it off. Good riddance!
Old 03-01-2002, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the info rocky raab! Are their many factory loads offered for the 7-30 waters, and how do they perform in the contender? I really only need a cal. that would reach out to 150 yards or so since I am relatively new to deer hunting and prefer to hunt the woods. Would the 7-30 be a good option for this kind of hunting? Is there any better chioces. I dont reload now, and I probably wont anytime in the near future.

Ksquared
Old 03-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Have gun, Will hunt

Ksquared, there is another option to tame the recoil on some of these hard hitters. Thompson Center has what they call a hunter barrel in several of there calibers. These tend to re-direct the motion of the recoil strait back instead of the typical muzzle flip that you get. This makes it much more tolerable to shoot. The down side to these types of barrel is the noise. They are much louder then the normal barrel. But, if a 30/30 is what you want. This might be an option as well.

I have them on several of my barrels and they work well. Listed below are the barrels that I have them on.

12" .44 magnum
14" .35 Remington
15" .308 Bellm
14" .444 Marlin
Old 03-03-2002, 10:17 AM

K2, if you don't reload, then the 30-30 may be a better choice than the 7-30. The 7-30 has only one factory round. It's a great one: Federal with a 120 Nosler Solid Base bullet. But it's the only one.

There are lots of good choices for a 150-yard deer gun, but many of the are reload-only. The good old 30-30 is one of the best rounds ever for this, and they've had 100+ years to get it right. I think they probably have. Another good thing is that 30-30 barrels are fairly easy to come by. Get a 14" bull contour and enjoy.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:42 PM

30-30 Recoil

I have been shooting both the 30-30 and the 7-30 Waters. I like both but I get better down range groups with the 7-30. I don't own either yet but my buddies have them and they like for me to work up loads for them. There not too good when it comes to reloading, no patience. Just me but I would start with the 30-30 and maybe get another barrel later.
What is a 30 Bower AK?
I'm looking at an Encore right now in the 7-08, 15" barrel. I have shot this one also and it's my favorite all round single shot. I plan on adding a 22.250 barrel after a while due to the rifles I have in that cartridge.

Mike...OK