Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 06-22-2002, 08:35 PM

Question Javelina Recipes & Cooking Suggestions

As some of you may know, I missed out on the '02 Javelina season due to the recession. In 2003 I plan to bag one, me and my Tohono O'odham buds are gonna go down to the rez and peg some pigs.
HOWEVER--Thee Mad Reloader MUST find a way to make them beastys taste good when we cook 'em! There's LOTS of javelina down there (so much so I'm pretty sure their overturning PJB's garbage cans in Tucson as we speak, they've invaded the town!)
Prior to the past season, I was grilling all the hunters I knew for THE BEST WAY TO COOK UP A JAVELINA. Overkill, his dad Max, couple of Overkill's buds, and me--that's a whole bunch of piglets! Per Max--and Overkill's grandpa on the rez--no trouble us getting one each. That would have been a BIG pig roast, indeed.
One of my colleagues, Aaron with FNF Construction, said the best way to cook 'em up was to brine soak for 24 hours, then roast in a pit for about 6 more hours {pretty much conforming to/summing up what most of the other Arizona hunters said}.
HOWEVER--Aaron said that after he got done, the plywood board covering the BBQ pit probably woulda tasted better.
Today, while running errands, got introduced to a Basque who was working at a store run by some friends of mine. After I was done dropping off some pewter miniatures I'd made, got to talking and the subject of cooking came up, and I steered the conversation over to Javelinas--
The ethnic Basque suggested NOT using brine, per her that would make matters worse as far as flavor went, but to soak in milk. Also, she'd spent some time in Germany (with the Armed Forces?) and suggested I try one they use over there on wild boar. Red Currants. Or, since we're stateside, cranberries. The tartness and astringency of currant/cranberry juice would improve the flavor also, In Her Opinion.

O-kay. NOW I need further clarification from THE PROFESSIONALS. The Hunt Chat crew!
(FWIW, 1st 2 times I went out, I got skunked. Since I was packing a .308 with 150-grain factory loads, probably just as well that I didn't get one, woulda ruined most of the meat... And Max and his dad on the rez? They did like Aaron and used LOADS of hot sauce to kill the taste, I seem to recall...)
Time to post your suggestions for cooking up Javelina so it tastes good, for next year's hunt!
(And for you folks in TX, CA, UT, etc.--PLEASE feel free to get out-of-state tags! We're up to our armpits in piglets in Southern AZ!)

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:50 PM

Eat a Javelina?!

You're a braver man than I !

Went to Texas last Feb to shoot wild pigs and Javelina.

The wild pig is excellent eats, but man them Javis stiiink!! We are not talking any type of sort of or kind of here. They reak.

They have this little gland on their back that exudes all kinds of nastiness. If you are intent on eating one of these make darn sure you don't let anything associated with that gland touch any of the meat!

Most of the folks I talked to prior to that hunt recommended jerky,
the outfitter said shoot them in the back half cape them out and eat the wild pigs!

On a personal note, after smelling several it would take some serious talent in the cooking department for me to be able to ingest javelina, but that's just me !

Bon Appetite!
Old 06-23-2002, 02:19 PM

I think a lot of game meat gets bad reviews because it was not cared for in the field properly to begin with. This IS Arizona boys, get it peeled and cooled down pronto, take the PICTURES to the bar and show the gang but get the pig taken care of. I have personally found that properly cared for javelina tastes just fine. I prefer to pit barbeque it underground with an assortment of onion, celery, and various spices and pepper. I then shred it with a fork and either make burros or mix with barbeque sauce and make sandwiches with never a complaint from anyone.

Mr. Hide
Old 06-23-2002, 05:58 PM

Ah! Another Zonie heard from, apparently!

OK, get it skinned & chilled PRONTO!

Okay, what's better, Mr. Hide:
Brine soak like Aaron, Max & his dad on the rez use?

Milk soak like the Basque chicky suggested?

Or cranberry juice, modified from what the Basque's German buds use on wild boar?

And, any suggestions on spice blends?

Look forward 2 your next post!

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 06-23-2002, 06:48 PM

Yep! Arizona native, family has been in the Prescott area since the early 20's.

I can't speak to which of those recipies are the best as I've never tried anything like 'em. As far as the seasoning for the pit bbq, I don't marinate, I just use what I would with any old roast in a crock. You know, salt, pepper, onions, celery, maybe some crushed red pepper. Nothin' fancy for me. Put it all in one of those "oven bags", wrap in soaked burlap, put it in the coals, cover it fast and let it go overnight.

Mr. Hide
Old 06-23-2002, 08:17 PM

Currently, I'm in Tempe, but my prior addys include Phoenix, Flagstaff, Kingman and (practically speaking) Camp Verde. Not a true native, been here for 15 years TTL, moved here from WI in the '80s.
Think I'll probably go quasi-German style on the soak, flavor should be Cran-tastic! Onion, celery, similar seasonings for pork roast--yeppers, sounds do-able!
If this catches on, Mr. Hide, AZ should have much less of a problem with overpopulation of Collared Peccaries in future years....
(Hey! Paul B! Better set down your U of A scrapbook, think the javelinas are going after your trashcans again... }

One of these days, Mr. Hide, we need to link up. Periodically I do a run to J &G sales...

Live Free or Die!