Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 06-23-2002, 02:50 PM

Blue Dot low velocity for 7mm-08 Rem

Yesterday, Sat. 6/22/02, I decided to develop a low velocity round for my 7mm-08 Rem (Model 7 rifle) and based on some data (for the .308 Win) that I read in a magazine, I decided to use that to see if that will do O.K. with the 7mm-08 Rem. I used 16 grains of Blue Dot behind a 120 Gr Speer Spitzer bullet. I used Winchester cases and Rem. 9 1/2 primers. The results:
Unbelieveable!! I managed to get a .25" and a .31" 4-shot groups at 50 yards, and .75" and .79" groups at 100 yards. With the last 7 rounds, I decided to shoot them all at 50 yds while the barrell was still warm and for my surprize! The group was 0.48". The best that I had ever shot with that rifle was 0.5" at 100 yards with Sierra 140 gr Pro-Hunter bullets with 38.6 gr of H4895 and 9 1/2 Rem primers. However, I was not able to repeat that size again for a long time with the same ingredients. Since I dont have a chronny to measure the velocity, is there anyone that can tell me what am I be getting with the above recipe? One thing for sure was that the impact was about 2.5" low at 50 yds with respect to the high velocity 140 grs load; so I made about 24 clicks in the scope and try it at 100 yds. This gave me 1/2" high at 50 yds and right on at 100 yds. The kick was like you could shoot all day and not go home with bruises. Anyone had try this load before? If I want to add a little more velocity, how much more can I safely go up to? The load I tried (16 grs of B.D. was very mild and there was no signs of pressure at all). Thanks for any replays.

Ljbarr2
Old 06-24-2002, 10:32 AM

No way to even guess at the velocity you're getting, except that it will be significantly lower than full-power. You'll need to chrono them to be sure.

I have a whole series of Blue Dot loads that I worked up for the 223. The object was to have Hornet/Bee-level loads for quiet shooting at 150 yards max. Great loads, too!

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 06-27-2002, 12:07 AM

Blue Dot for .223 Rem

Rocky Raab,

I am actually using the ideas that you have about low velocity loads in my .223 Rem. I get about 1" to 1.3" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. I love it! I settled in 12.6 grains of Blue Dot. I did try 13 grs but the pressure started to go up and the accuracy was bad. Now, with the 7mm-08 Rem, I an using 16 grs and I think it is shooting right at 2000 fps. What I can't believe is the accuracy that I am getting. If I really do my part, I would say that I can shoot almost all the shots thru the same hole (I had to say that to express how good the groups are). I hope I can find the magazine where I read about this low power loads (they have low power loads even for 300 Win Mag. Now, with the same powder, I can reload for the .223Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, and the .44 Rem Mag. Tha't great for me.

LJBARR2
Old 06-27-2002, 08:51 AM

I've only "published" some of that data only on my other website, and not in magazines. But I'm working up a compendium article for Guns Digest that summarizes all my Blue Dot/Red Dot/Unique experiences. It's astounding what some of these loads do and how versatile those three powders are.

After that article shows up in GD, I'll be free to post it on the website (they demand first-use copyright) but if you want any snippets of it before then, just ask!

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 06-28-2002, 12:50 AM

Gun Digest

Rocky Raab,

I will love to buy the GUN DIGEST as soon it becomes available. Please, let me know when it is complete. And yes. I would like to get any info. that you may want to share about this subject. The calibers that I like the most are .223 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, .44 Rem Mag, and 30-06 Sprgfld. The last one I don't have yet but now I am interested in getting a combo gun 12GA/30-06sp.

LJBARR2