Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 08-03-2002, 10:19 PM

.44 Magnum deer rifle ?

Greetings to all .

I always hunted with high velocity guns so far, but lately I have been bite by the big bore bug .
I was wondering how good is the 44mag as a short to medium range deer rifle ?
I had a Win. 94 lever in mind, maybe a trapper model .
Wich would be the best load to use and maximum range for this combination ?
Old 08-03-2002, 10:39 PM
HC's Resident Metalhead

Welcome aboard Zazu45

I cannot advise you on loads, but I'd keep shots 100 yards or under.

$0.02

"It is a mere destiny I thought, a threshold I had crossed before.
The rain was waving goodbye, and when the night came
the forest folded its branches around me.
Something passed by, and I went into a dream.
She laughing and weeping at once: "take me away"." April Ethereal - Opeth

Last edited by Wahnie; 08-04-2002 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:00 AM

Welcome to HuntChat!!

I assume you'll be shooting at game roughly deer-sized. The 44 Mag carbine you mention is superb for that job. It is generally considered to be a 100 to 125-yard gun on deer.

If you are asking about factory ammo, the news is good. Most all brands available are excellent. I'd stick to 240-grain bullets for largish game but the 180-grain bullets are devastating if saving meat is not an issue. If you are going after some really big stuff such as boar, the new Winchester load with the Nosler Partition pistol bullet is a tremendous killer.

I don't load for the big 44, so I can't offer any pet loads, but most loading manuals have a section of 44 loads for rifle use. If not, most of the good revolver loads also work just fine in the carbine.

And don't forget that your carbine might also feed 44 Special loads. They make great small game, practice and general use rounds. Some Winchester rifles won't feed them well, but some others will, and all Marlin rifles feed them, I hear.

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 08-04-2002, 10:13 AM

Welcome aboard Zazu45

I live and hunt in New England which in a lot of ways its like your neck of the woods. I also us a 44 Mag for some of my deer hunting and do not feel handicap buy doing so. Unless you hunt in area where most of the shots will be over say 125 yards the 44 will do the trick. For a woods rifle you cannot beat it. A Win 94 would be great.

I use a 30-06 & 280 for most of my hunting but I have carried my little Ruger 96/44 many miles while chasing those bucks. I handload my own ammo which is a Winchester Case, H110 powder, CCi primer, 240 gr Speer soft point bullet. I mainly use this rifle when I feel up to chasing one all day or on drives. I love the ease of carrying and the light weight (5 1/4 lbs).

Becase the 44 is a pistol bullet I would suggest that you get atleast a 18" barrel. If my old failing memory serves me right the trapper model has a 16" or so barrel which means you could loose 50 to 100 feet per second in velocity. With the 44 you may need every ounce of energy it will give you. My Ruger has a 18 1/2 " barrel.

I do not know if you are a hand loader or not but I only hunt with soft point bullets. I stay away from hollow point and these new hi tech bullets like hydro shock, etc. I look for penetration more than expansion. I like a good 240 grain bullet which has always done the trick for me.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:57 PM

Zazu45,
Welcome aboard. I live in Ohio where center fire rifles are illegal but handgun are legall to hunt deer. I carried a .44 mag. handgun for alot of years and have taken several deer with a .44 mag. handgun. The only bullet .44 cal. I ever recovered from a deer was from a nice 8 point buck that I shot at 135 yrds. I hit the deer in the left rear quater and the bullet was just under the skin of the frount right shoulder. The .44 carbine would give you alittle more velosity and range. I`ve tried several different bullets and now load only the Serria 240 grn. JHC bullets for deer. They have the best cimbonation of accuracy and preformance of any .44 cal. bullet in a handgun. Hornady XTP bullets were also very accurate but did not expand well at handgun velosities but might work better at rifle velosities. The.44 mag. in eather a handgun or a carbine make an excellant short range deer gun. Max. point blank range figured were the bullet will be no more than 2 1/2 in. above or below the line on sight when the bullet is fired at 1,700 fps. is 145 yrds. A good shot that can judge ranges fairly good in the field should have no trouble with a .44 carbine out to about 175 yrds. Stick with the .240 grn. bullets though, I had to many bullet failers at handgun speeds with the liter ones.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Mannlicher-Schoenauer

ZaZU,
I like the Marlin 1894S over the Winchester. My carbine holds 10 rounds, and is quite accurate. I use an old Weaver K2.5 scope on it.

Over the past few years, I have taken 5 bucks with the .44 Mag. All were under 75 yards, and all were one shot kills. None moved more than 10 yards after being shot.

I use the Speer 270 grain JSP Gold Dot. There are many other brands, but I like the performance of this cartridge. For deer and hog, I like a heavier bullet, designed for game. The various 240 grain JHP like Hydroshock and golden sabre, are designed to shoot people, not game.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Old 08-05-2002, 07:49 AM

Guys, as long as we're on the subject of .44's & big bores:

One of my shootin' buds, Bob K, has a Ruger .44 Carbine--which I guess was his deer rifle back in MI. He's got a load for it that involves a 300 grain FP bullet & Bullseye powder.
Hmmm.
I've got an ancient artifact grade Mauser 1871, and my pet load for it is a 325 gr FP, 35 grs. of 4198 with an est. MV of 1600+ f/s. Not something I'd use against heffalumps & Cape Buffalo, mind--but it can hold its own with the .45-70's, IMO.
Anybody ever tried a load like Bob K.'s? Could it bring the .44 Mag into the realm of .444 Marlin & .45-70, or am I being really optimistic? Or--is that combo of his just flirting w/ disaster?

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:07 PM

I don't think I'd use Bullseye behind a 300-gr bullet in the 44 Mag except possibly for a really mild plinker load. The combination of very heavy bullet and very, very fast pressure rise is not a safe one.

None of the reloading gurus that I read use anything but H110/W296 or 2400 or similar powders with the 300-gr bullets. I think they are on the right track.

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 08-05-2002, 03:46 PM

Mad Reloader,
Rocky is right as usuall. I love Bullseye powder fo plinking loads in the. .44 mag. and really all pistol cals. that I load. When I load hunting loads I get out the Win. 296. I`ve use H-110 and 2400 and both work, in fact the H-110 is nearly identical to Win. 296, but over the years the 296 has worked real well in all the different loads I`ve tried it in so I just eleminated 2 kinds of powder from my shelf.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:39 PM

You have to be careful with those old carbine. Ruger always recommended a 240 grain bullet with velocity at factory. It indicated that this exact pressure was needed to operate the action properly.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:29 PM

Red face Zoinks, Scooby!

Thanks, Rocky Raab, Catfish, buckhunter!

Am going to E Bob K. tonight & let him know, refer him DIRECTLY to this thread.

His lovely wife is gonna KILL me (for telling him about yet ANOTHER chat site), but Bob K's got 2 kids, and I don't want their dad being sent straight to Valhalla by way of a blown-up reciever.

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 08-05-2002, 09:41 PM

44 Mag Brush Gun???????????????????

I would deer hunt with a 44 mag if thats all I had. A 30-30 would be so much better. The 44mag will work in the bush because shots are close. To shoot through leaves and twigs a 243 will do just as good. Why handicapp yourself with a pistol round.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:19 PM

I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag.

Have a scout scope mounted on it,
fast handling like a shot gun.
Shoot 23.5 grs of 110/ 240 gr
Rem.HP from Midway.
Good thick cover gun.