Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 08-11-2002, 07:19 PM

thick lace-up recoil pad

My father recently purchased a Parker Reproduction 28 as a gift for me. While he was told by the seller that it would fit someone my size (6' 4"), it is actually standard length and a good bit too short. I am unable to get down on the barrel and gain a good sight picture.

I need to find a thick (hopefully at least one inch) lace-up or velcro leather recoil pad to add some length. I can't find any larger than 1/2 inch thickness. Does anyone have a suggestion? I don't want to alter the gun permanently, as that would damage the ingraving and beauty of the shotgun. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:59 PM
(GrayBear on other sites)

Shoulder pads?

My 6'4" brother-in-law has that problem and has a two-part solution. He used the thickest lace-on pad he can find plus a strap-on recoil pad on his shoulder. His is sold by Cabela's for about $30 - - the model made for shooting the big African double rifles and such, because it's thicker.

Stock pad+shoulder pad means he can shoot claybirds all day and any gun fits him.

He travels between regional offices often and is there a week or more each trip. His set-up allows him to go to ranges in several of his regular cities where they rent guns and sell ammo so all he has to travel with is a shell bag and his recoil pad setup.

Good Luck -

12ga
Old 08-11-2002, 11:24 PM

I am not totally familiar with the new Parkers so I will ask, does it have a rubber butt pad now or just a plate? If there is no pad on the gun a good gun smith can install a very nice 1" English style pad that with lengthen the stock and not damage it at all. ( put the butt plate away for safe keeping and reinstallation). If this does not lengthen the stock enough then you'll need to go to the slip on or as suggested the shoulder pad.
Good shooting,
ben-t
Old 08-11-2002, 11:46 PM

I know there is a company that makes nice lace on recoil pads- leather. I think the company is called Boyd's, but I am not certain of that.
Probably a look thru the Cabela's catalog would turn something up.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 08-12-2002, 06:52 AM

I saw some of the rubber boot that just slip over the butt ot the gun at Wally Worled the other day. If you when with one of these you could also put an extra spacer in the boot befor putting it on the gun if nessary. I guess you could do the samething with a lace on, and they do look alot better.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Jack,

Boyd's would be the correct name. I know that one of the mail order catalogs has a bunch of Boyd's stuff, but I just cannot remember who it is. It might be Gamaliels or Precision Reloading, but since I don't have the catalogs in front of me, I cannot give a definite answer.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to damage the beautiful butt-plate in any way so I would prefer to leave it on. I checked in the big Cabelas catalog and Bass Pro and couldn't find anything larger than 1/2 inch thickness. I'll check Boyd's. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:01 PM

Here's a lace up pad I ran across:http://lcsupply.com/store/catalog/kick_killer_pads.htm
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 08-16-2002, 11:32 AM

Thanks Jack, I just ordered it. If it's not enough, I'll get a shoulder strap-on pad as well. CB