Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 10-05-2002, 03:47 PM

Question Kirst versus R&D cartridge conversions

(half expecting this thread to get moved to C&B, but who knows?)

At the top of my Xmas list is a steel-framed 1858 Remington repro.

Found out over a year ago that one can get a Cartridge conversion for it--so as I'm not limited to C&B only--and it might come in handy iffn I ever decide to do SASS.

I just recently found out--whilst tracking down the elusive .577 barrel blank--that there are TWO cartridge conversion systems out there.

The R&D (cal. .45 Colt)--very similar to the ca. 1870 conversion used on original Remingtons....AND the Kirst--which is based on the Tranter patent (.45 ACP, .44 Colt, FIVE shot .45 Colt)

ANYBODY out there have any experience or run-ins with either or both of these contraptions? Planning on investing in one of the converter systems out there after I've picked up the Remington, but I'm not entirely sure which to go with. They're both "drop-ins" with no gunsmithing required.

The R&D--seems to work like an old H&R 622 or 632 "pull-pin" revolver. One of the CW re-enactors posted a while back someone he knew had one...but hadn't used it yet or something.

The Kirst--is a gate-loader, and if you want all the bells & whistles there's an ejector rod assembly that I guess replaces the loading lever (like the Richards-Mason Colt conversions sort of)
But the .45 Colt conversion is a FIVE SHOOTER!
Now I seem to recall that the pawl/ratchet group of a revolver is a mite sensitive to whether it's a 5-shot or 6 shot or 7-shot cylinder. I have been politely and not so politely informed by 'smiths in my younger days that this will affect the indexing and timing.

Okay, I never said I knew everything about everything.

Anybody with more knowhow & experience in wheelgun issues please please clarify this. I'm not going to blow $240-250 next year or so on a P-I-T-A P-O-J!

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:41 AM

Unhappy Is there anybody IN there....?

Don't tell me I'm the only one on HuntChat who's heard of the Kirst Konverter....

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 10-20-2002, 10:33 AM

Talking

You made me look.

http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konverter3.html

I knew the frontloaders were converted to Metallic cartridges, but not how, now I do. And so can the rest of you.

Thanks MR for making me look,
Darrell

p.s. I have a conversion kit to shoot .177 pellets from my .45 auto. Convert-a-pell, great fun in the back room.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:33 AM
Pain In The Ass

Question

You wanna do what to who and when??

Your post is safe here TMR I must admit though, never heard of a Kirst!
Old 10-20-2002, 12:28 PM

Smile Fun Project concepts explained for TD

Okay, here's what I got planned, & how it came about:

WAAY back when during my College days, I got into C&B shooting a little. Had me a CVA 1851 Reb Navy, cal .36.

However, after "granulation" from college, things in my life changed a bit & I got bored with C&B, found a place that had a Cartridge Conversion for Navy Colts & picked one up. Discovered that you had to use a STEEL FRAMED Navy Colt, so I then got an 1861 Uberti Navy and did the conversion, also some research into the Richards Conversions ca. 1870 & added on an ejector rod.

Well, the project didn't turn out so well (had a problem w/ cylinder timing) and the revolver ended up at the bottom of my gun safe. Back last September when I was on a project up in McGuireville, stopped by a gun shop in Camp Verde & saw an ASM Richards converted 1861, did a deal and traded in the Uberti and picked it up.

Problem is--both were PERMANENT conversions. No provision for loading lever catch, backplate firmly bolted to recoil shield, etc. Iff'n The Mad Reloader wanted to do BP C&B again...well, have to pick up yet ANOTHER 1850's-1860's repro, I suppose.

Of course the thought occured to me...what if I decides (again) that BP might be OK for getting another huntin' season in with an in-line...but frontloader revolvers just ain't cutting it? {Hey, it COULD happen!} I've also gotten into the concept of "versatility" which means that I like getting multiple use out of what's in the old gun safe whenever possible & practical. Since Garrett over at Kicking Mule Guns had a R&D brand converter on the shelf at the time...it kinda stuck in my mind that this could be a do-able concept. Sidearm for BP season, do a quicky change & it's now useable for SASS if I ever succumb to those urges.

I also have discovered this past year that there are these neato Pyrodex Pellets in 30-grain equivalent jest the thing for frontloaders in .44-.45 calibre. (Iffn I had a .36 I'd still be S-O-L on that count, so maybe gettin rid of the Navy was a good thing)

And interestingly, my entourage out here in Arid-Zona is interested in Yours Truly being a guinea pig for said project! Smooth&Deadly's kind of curious, my financial advisor buds Bob P & Robert K like the concept (the former thinks my getting a dual-duty pistol makes sense budgetarily---the latter was kinda hoping I'd get SOMETHING in .45 Colt...and if my concept works, he can try a similar "argument" on his wife to justify buying yet another gun) and Max, "Overkill" & "Space Cowboy" are also interested in my project for 2003 for various reasons of their own....

And one of the FEW drawbacks about being a shootist in Arid-Zona is that you can't hardly find a decently priced used SAA revolver!
(well, if it's completely trashed, or it's a RG or Roscoe, or one of those brass-framed repro Reb jobbers you can--which aint sayin' much)

Well, TreeDoc, there you have it. (2:1 you're now sorry you asked )

Sooo...anybody have any hands-on experience on these boards with R&D or Kirst type conversions?

Live Free or Die!