Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 12-30-2002, 11:38 AM

Cured Ham From venison and it is greaaat!!!

Well I finally did it. I made some Ham from venison. Started out with about a 2-1/2 pound bonless bottom round roast cut from the hind quarter of my last deer. Used 1 tablespoon of mortons tender quick per pound and dry rubbed the hole thing so that is was covered evenly. let it sit for a day in the fridge 36-45 degrees is the appropriate temp, and then took it out ad rinsed it and rubbed it down again 24 hours later, put it back in the fridge and left it for another 12-14 hours, I thien took it out and put it in the brinkman smoker and smoked it up with some charcoal and hickory chips and chunks for a few hour,

It come out great..... kind of a cross between country cured ham and corned beef.

If you smoke it long enough you can eat it right out of the smoker, I pulled mine a little bit early and took it inside and sliced some really thin slices and fried it up like fried ham and fried it a little longer and it comes out almost like a really lean bacon.

I now have a whole hind quarter in the fridge that I started last night. I started it with the Mortons Tender Quick and it has to remain in the fridge for 7 days, then be rinsed and re-rubbed. The second and third rub is going to be with mortons sugar cure rather than Tender quick because I was told it has a less salty and less harsh flavor. So 21-23 days from yesterday I will be diggin into some scrumptious Venison Ham. MMMMMMM-MMM

If any of you are really looking for ways to do up some venison I really reccomend that you try this. If you cannot get the Tender Quick or Mortons Sugar Cure, in your area they sell it online at www.mortonsalt.com. or if you are adventurous and can get ahold of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate or "saltpeter" I am sure that you can find a dry cure recipe online and mixe your own.

Man oh man I cannot wait until that ham is ready to eat
I am PETA's #1 Member
People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 01-01-2003, 09:00 AM

Wow.

This is a most excellent recipe--looks like you've resurrected meat curing techniques that I thought had been lost early in the 20th Century.

I'm curious--is the finished product similar to a Smithfield ham (or Gwaltney's, etc) in that as long as it is wrapped and kept dry it will keep w/o refrigeration?

Looking forward to hearing some more about the "corned venison"---

---to me, ham comes from the meat of a creature of the Suinidae, not from Cervids or Bovids

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 01-02-2003, 09:48 PM

Here's a way to cook venison hams you might like:
Start with a small hind quarter. Remove all the connective tissue and fat. In other words, get rid of everything that's white, and leave only red meat.
You can use a large hind quarter, or divide the large one into a few hams; whatever you like.
Wrap them in bacon and tie the bacon on with string.
Then smoke them in your smoker. Apple or hickory recommended.
Don't over cook them- make sure they're pink in the middle. Takes about 4 hours on most smokers.
If they taste too 'smoky' for you, put the ham in the oven for a couple hours at 300, then finish in the smoker.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 01-03-2003, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Reloader
Wow.

This is a most excellent recipe--looks like you've resurrected meat curing techniques that I thought had been lost early in the 20th Century.

I'm curious--is the finished product similar to a Smithfield ham (or Gwaltney's, etc) in that as long as it is wrapped and kept dry it will keep w/o refrigeration?

Looking forward to hearing some more about the "corned venison"---

---to me, ham comes from the meat of a creature of the Suinidae, not from Cervids or Bovids
Hey MR With the whole hind quarter, if you rub it down with the Mortons Sugar cure using approx 1semi heaping tablespoon per pound let it sit in the fridge for 7 days, reapply the cure and let it sit for another 7, then repeat one more time for seven more days. When that is done you have to COLD SMOKE the ham. 75-100 degrees for a few days then the answer to your question is yes it can be aged and kept without refridgeration. How ever I have heard some contraversial information regarding the Hot smoking technique. I read that is it is smoked at a temp over 125 degrees F. that it will not keep unrefridgerated and I also heard that it would.

I am going to do mine with the process that cures for 14 days, applying the cure 2 times and then actually cooking it in my brinkman smoker, it probably won't last long enough to freeze or go bad.

When you do small piece of meat, such as a bonless roast or maybe a front shoulder they say you can reduce the curing time to something like 1 day per inch of thickness and long as it is cooked and used promptly

The first peice I did was a bonless venison roast cut from the hind quarter and I put too much Tender Quick on it and it was REALLLLY salty but that was ok because I like the old salt cure country hams. But anyway I only cure it about a day and a half and put it in the brinkman smoker and cooked it at low temp for a few hours then brought it in rinsed it with cold water sliced it, parboiled the slices to get out some of the excess salt and then fried then like bacon. It was magnifico
I am PETA's #1 Member
People Eating Tasty Animals