Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 03-31-2003, 09:53 PM

Question Deer with skin condition?

There is a field next to the highway I take to and from work. Lately there has been a few blacktail deer in there feeding. One looked like it was piebald (mottled white) so I took to carrying the bino's in the van. When I got a good look at it this weekend I saw that it was blonde/bald except for its head which was the normal red/brown. Today there was another there that looked the same. I called the wildlife dept., last night and they said it was a sign the deer was going to die. The deer's behavior is normal in all other obvious respects. It browses and chews its cud with the others. It has no obvious trouble getting around either. I thought maybe it was mange, not that I have ever seen anything with mange. This is too severe to just be spring moulting. Also, this has been one of the mildest winters on record.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:58 PM

There are quite a few blacktail up in northern OR with hair loss and we've seen a few down here in Douglas county as well. Last I knew ODFW didn't know what it was yet, one theory was that it was caused by a mite that was irritating the deer such that they scratched against limbs and such and scraped their hair off.
That was a few years ago that I heard of that possibility. I have one hanging around my place off and on and plan to go in and let them know about it and see if they have any answers yet.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:03 PM

from what ive read on this "hair slip disease" it echoes exactly what Cervid said. Ive seen a few myself in and around the Roseburg area. it seems to affect mostly younger aged deer. heres a link to some info on it:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/...d_hairloss.htm
Old 03-31-2003, 11:17 PM
ordinary average guy

Sounds kind of like the mange.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:43 PM

according to what you say, I feel 99.9% sure that it is mange. Mange is just mites that irritate the skin, so the animal scratches it's hair/skin off. I have seen BALD coyotes around here before. It looks like a giant mexican hairless.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:44 AM

Whether it's Hair Slip Disease or just Mange...glad it's not acne.

Because if it were--Can you imagine the Bambi-brains trying to put Clearasil or Stridex on them?

LOL!

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:54 PM

I don't know if the wildlife dept here is stupid or just trying to simplify the problem for me. I have a degree in biology so I can understand that something is making the deer's hair fall out. It doesn't just happen because it is dying. It is a symptom of a disease or disorder. They didn't seem to care, so I hope it isn't contagious to livestock. With the second deer showing up with the problem it is likely contagious between the deer. I sure hope it doesn't do in the herd here on Vancouver Island.

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.