Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 05-03-2003, 06:25 PM

28 gauge components

About a year back, I discovered something in the Cabela's catalog called the "Little Skeeter" set, designed to allow firing of 20-gauge, 28-gauge and .410 shells in a 12-gauge double or single.

It promptly went on my Wish List of Things I Must Buy Someday.

In preparation for said Cabela's purchase--decided to take advantage of a nicely priced 28-gauge shotshell loader as offered on eBay, mint condition.

It came with a card of some loading data--and made mention of three loads using the old paper/felt wads.

Do any of you scattergunners know where I might be able to purchase these kind of wads, so I can roll up some 28-gauge loads of the Old School variety?

(Arizona Sportsman--the local gun store chain where I buy about half of my reloading supplies--has got bag after bag of the little pink Winchester WAA28 wads. So I've got no worries on that count. Just looking into the feasibility of using the additional load data from back around 1966.)

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 05-03-2003, 06:37 PM

Check out Ballistic Products Inc. at www.ballisticproducts.com. They have almost everything for the shotshell reloader. Now may be someone can tell me where to get a set of 24 guage dies.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Thank you, sir!

I advise you to do like I have done--and keep an eye on eBay. Category of "24 gauge" And be patient...but strike like lightning when you see it there and the time is right!

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 05-03-2003, 09:53 PM

28 ga

Hey MR,
Too give you a little info. If you are going to load the old type of wads you'll have to use the straight walled cases as they will work better with the card and filler wads. They are terrible to load though IMO as everything is small and hard to work with. Sometimes you find old Alcan 28 ga wads on ebay also. I had a bunch of 28 ga cork wads. If I still have em you can get them for the cost of shipping. Not worth using as the patterns aren't really all that great. I love the 28 ga. A really good gauge. It's the shotgun I use for most of my upland shooting and used to be good for teal shooting also.

Popplecop, I think Mec or PW will make you a set of dies for the 24 ga.....if you just have to have them. And I think BP has wads for them too!
Old 05-04-2003, 10:10 AM

Thanks, I'll check with MEC it's not far from where I live. You probably are right do I really need them, case of ammo csts about $100 delivered and I probably won't shoot a case in a year or more. It was my love for the 28 that got me a 24 ga. I too use the 28 for grouse and woodcock and this year doves if it doesn't wind up in court again. 28 is a O/U and the 24 is a beautiful SXS tat is very trim and responsive, have not used it on anything but claybirds so far.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 AM

BP does have 24 gauge wads!

Also hulls, FWIW. {looks like OWS has a little competition! }

Skeet, I'm intrigued by your offer. PM me with regard to the details, I'll dig up the $$ if you still have 'em. One of the 3 old wad loads listed in the charge table involves Blue Dot, and I've got a LOT of that powder--so if the performance is mediocre, no biggy. Ammo I can use for "warming up" on an informal skeet session with my buds. (then go over to some good stuff for when we're actually keeping score!)

--I take it by "straight walled" cases you mean the Federal or Remington hulls and not the Winchester AA, right? Or were you thinking Fiocchi?

Live Free or Die!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:13 AM

Mad Reloader,
Before you invest in the "Little Skeeter" I suggest you do some research. They won't work with your ejectors and you have to remove the spent shells by hand. This gets quite dirty. I suggest the "Chamber Mates" they are more expensive but my ejectors work with them. I did use .410 tubes and am assuming the 28 will be the same, and is was in my Browning.
One of the fellas we shoot skeet with uses them and he has a 4 barrel set for his Kreigoff, he says he likes the short tubes better and thinks they pattern better in his 12ga barrel than his .410 barrels.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:13 PM

The shorter tubes provide for a denser but shorter pattern because they are coming out at 12 ga. vs. .410. You just have to imagine shooting a 1/2 oz. load out of a 12 ga.

TMR,

There really is no such thing as practice loads vs. serious loads. If you practice with crap, you won't know why you are missing. If you don't know why you are missing, you won't know what to fix and you won't improve quickly. The key is to figuring out the shots and then being consistant.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:46 PM

Talking There's an ulterior motive here....

tjwatty--

Yes, well aware of the fact that the ejectors won't eject the spent 28 gauge shell, but will eject the entire Little Skeeter insert. Similar to what my .32 ACP in .308 and .30 Carbine in .308 inserts do. File it under plinkage.

Which is kind of where this project was leaning....

My serious scattergunning is done with the 20-gauge Winchester pump, trusty veteran of many a bird hunt. The 12-gauge double is....my "spare" gun. And just in case one of my crew is shotgunless--and not up to a 12, they can make use of the "spare" as a loaner for the shoot, using the 28-gauge inserts.

And if they're too chintzy/broke to pick up shells--this is where the Bargain Basement mediocre performance handloads come in.

Picture if you will:

"Hey, Mad--this thing shoots fer crap! I aint got no birds yet!"

"Listen up, deadbeat--you get what you pay for. So how about getting a job so you can have the $$ to buy your own shotgun ammo. Or better yet, your own shotgun. Sheesh!"

"Yeah, dude--Mad's right. Why don't you get a job? Seriously."

(Two of my crew aren't exactly the hardest working or motivated folks on the planet. And both "Mighty Max" and I have gotten kinda tired of attempting to motivate their sorry asses. Smooth&Deadly's also a bit tired of hearing about it, too. Which is why I have about 1 box of 12-gauge promo loads set to one side, couple boxes of 20-gauge on their last loading, and I figured--why not some "blah" loads to go with the 28-thing? Either use for "blasting" ammo--or "MOTO" loads for one of the deadbeats to spend if they con me into borrowing the double--and the inserts.)

Live Free or Die!

Old 05-04-2003, 09:44 PM

TJ is right

I have set of the little skeeters in 410 that were given to me by a "friend" cause they were a pain to use....and as he said he's 84 and may not have enough time left to shoot a complete round of skeet using them. They are dirty...but they...well... for want of a better word...work somewhat.
TMR straight walled cases are the Federal, Old ribbed Remingtons, Fiocchi, Kent and Estate. Blue dot is ok but it sure doesn't drop consistently from a reloader with bushings. Will look to see if I have the wads tomorrow. Been out shooting today(and giving lessons to a student. She is really getting the hang of things with a shotgun. Oh and I have to say she isn't hard to look at and the best part....she's single and rich. No joke. Went to England to shoot driven Pheasants and then to North Dakota to shoot Pheasants. Said she is going to go to Argentina to shoot doves. I want to let her take me. I am trying to be a little circumspect about it though. I only said take me take me take me 7 times. Think she got the hint yet?? Shot 200 + 28 ga shells today. Love to shoot the 28. Sold my ol Winchester 28 ga M-12 today too. Now I can afford to go to Argentina.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:38 PM

Thanks, skeet!

Figured you meant the ribbed Remington and Federal hulls, but wanted to double-check.

--I've seen the other type shotgun inserts--the Chamber Mates-- BTW, listed in the Cabela's online. They look really nice.

And are a little rich for my blood at the moment!

Right now, just something so that I can use 28-ga for the occasional light duty (small game, skeet if I use the good Win AA and/or the Good Stuff handloads!)

---and in a pinch, there's the little doinky dinkoid .410 what also comes if you get the entire set of LS's.

(So for about $120, I'm covered for Dire Emergency Post Apocalyptic use of .410, a little fun with the 28's, and the brace of 20's....I've got several boxes of old Federal reloads on their last crimping, so guess what The Deadbeat might end up with if I'm really annoyed with him?)
Picture if you will....

"Aww, come on man--I really want to go!"

"You finally got a licence...got enough cash for a box of shells?"

"Uhh...no, Mad." (looks down at his feet) "Can I have some of them, too?" (Smiles greasily)

"Sure." (I grin fiendishly) "You want 28's? Or 20's? Got inserts for both....."

Bwahahahah!

Okay, enough on my Ulterior Motives....

Frank C. Barnes makes mention of at one point there was a "slug" load available for the 28...I read the disclaimer for the Skeeters saying DO NOT use slugs (which is fine, they are quite plentiful for 12 & 20 gauge)-- Anyone ever seen any of those? And is the Chamber Mates system OK to use with slugs? Just wondering.

And speaking of ulterior motives, best of luck with the rich & single filly what's into shotgunning!

Live Free or Die!

Old 05-05-2003, 08:56 AM

Little Skeeters

Mad,
No slugs in them. Can't take it I don't think. You have ta get some new....er....ah...upscale friends so you can mooch off of them a little. heheheheBTW the single rich is waaayyy past the filly stage(bout 62) but still looks good. I'm trying the upscale mooch off of em thing right now. Don't think momma would want me getting too far out of her sight around some rich LADY! Oh and my wife can shoot her 44 Super Blackhawk too well. I think I really made a mistake teaching her to shoot that darn gun. No slugs in the chamber mates either. If I were you bud, I'd spend the money on 1 set of chambermates and save up for a second set in the future. Much better use from them. As far as the 410, look on ebay for a set of the old savage 410'ers. Cheaper and they work well. They made them in 12 to 410, 16 to 410 and 20 to 410. Used they go for as little as 30 bucks each. And ya can't break em even with a slug
Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 PM

Skeet,

A buddy of mine in Washington County taught his wife how to shoot real well, and as soon as they started the divorce process, he moved all of the guns out of the house into storage. He kept telling me not to teach the fiance how to shoot, but I didn't have anything to worry because all the guns were in a safe and I am the only one that knows the combo. Plus, she really did suck at shooting and hadn't improved much in 2 years.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:20 PM

Hey Fabs,
I really can't complain about momma. As she says....she's the only one working She even gives me 10 bucks every two weeks for walking around money! Course I only walk around for an hour or so every two weeks!!