Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 07-12-2003, 09:16 PM

Question Breaking in new Bushmaster AR- 15

I understand there is a procedure for breaking in a barrel on a new rifle to get better accuracy as well as longer barrel life on a new rifle. Can anyone give me the proper procedure.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Catfishing Mazter

Ringtail- If no-one has welomed you here yet, Welcome to HuntChat. I think you'll find alot of great member's here to help you out, and you can help us out as well with your wisdom

Here is what i got off of the BushMaster Website, It was in my Book I got with my AR-15 on how to properly break in the barrel. I hope this helps you out.

-Non-Chrome Barrel Breaking procedure-

A new barrel will shoot best if careful attention is given to proper break-in. Differing opinions exist as to what constitutes proper break-in, however, we recommend that no more than 20 rounds be fired at one time before cleaning the barrel - for the first 60 rounds. Each time the barrel is cleaned for the first 120 rounds, it must be thoroughly cleaned, removing all traces of copper and fouling.

Recommended procedure for thorough cleaning: In all cases it is vital that cleaning tools (brushes, patches, etc.) be pushed from the breech toward the muzzle and then removed from the rod at the muzzle end. DO NOT drag anything back through the muzzle.

Clean the bore with a good bore cleaner.

Decopper the bore with a copper solvent.

Clean the bore again with JB Bore Cleaner paste as follows;

1. Work the JB paste into a new patch.
2. Wrap the patch around a worn bore brush.
3. Push it through the bore for ten strokes. Replace the patch every five strokes.
4. Run a dry patch then an oil patch if storing the rifle.

After the barrel is broken in , clean the bore immediately after each shooting session.
Decopper the barrel every 300-400 rounds.
Clean the bore every 1,000 rounds with JB Bore Cleaner.

-Breaking in a Stainless Steel barrel-

Start by firing one shot and cleaning the barrel. Do this five times. Fouling between shots should be reduced. If no improvement in fouling is seen then fire one shot and clean barrel for five more times. Then fire a string of three shots before cleaning barrel. Repeat this five times. After that fire a string of five shots before cleaning barrel. Repeat this five times. This should be enough to "polish" out the barrel so that it will have good accuracy and cleaning will be easier.

Recommended procedure for thorough cleaning: In all cases it is vital that cleaning tools (brushes, patches, etc.) be pushed from the breech toward the muzzle and then removed from the rod at the muzzle end. DO NOT drag anything back through the muzzle. Clean the bore with a good bore solvent and patch dry. Run an oil patch through the barrel if putting the rifle up for any length of time.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:35 PM

Ringtail, there are a million different 'formulas' for barrel break in. Everyone has different ideas about what's the best procedure, or even if it does any good.
I would follow the barrel maker's recommendation that Matzer has given you.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com