Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 10-20-2003, 12:36 PM

load data for 11mm Mauser

Does anyone have any load data for the 11mm/43 Mauser using 370 grain cast bullets? I have seen some smokeless powder load data, although this was originally a blackpowder firearm. Does anyone have experience loading for this caliber? I will be loading for a 71/84 Mauser provided it checks out OK when it arrives.
Thanks,
Ed
Old 10-20-2003, 09:21 PM

Man, do I feel like Mr. Helpful today, or what? While digging through my Reloader Magazines to find an article for Ken14, I came across the June 2002 issue, which contains an article by Ross Seyfried on the 43 Mauser. If you check www.riflemagazine.com, in the "Back Issues" (I think that's what it's called) section, they may have that article online.

In any event, I'll try to paraphrase his 7 page article . He did some work with a 71/84 (had lots of high praise for it, too) with a 390 grain lead bullet, using both lubed and paper patched bullets. His smokeless load was 33 and 34 grains I4198 with 8 grains of Dacron filler. He noted 1.5 - 2.5 inch groups for 5 shots at 100 yards (which is pretty darn good for an antique with open sights!!), and 1300 - 1425 FPS). His blackpowder loads used 77 grains (measured on a scale, not by volume) of a variety of FFg's, and 53 grains of Hodgdon 777, with velocities roughly the same, although the groups were a fair amount bigger.

See if you can find the article - it's got some great data on the 71/84, including his admonition to be certain it's checked thoroughly by a knowledgeable smithy before firing.

Good luck with your piece of history!! Let us know how it works out.

R-WEST

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"
Old 10-22-2003, 08:12 PM

R-WEST,
Do you happen to have an address or phone for Rifle Magazine? I can't seem to locate them on the web.
Thanks,
Ed
Old 10-23-2003, 07:47 PM

Ed,
Rifle magazine (and Handloader) are published by Wolfe Publishing. Try the publishers name for a website.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 10-27-2003, 04:40 PM

Or, click here www.riflemagazine.com Hmm, that doesn't seem to be too clicky-friendly. Maybe copy that and paste it to your browser's address line? Weird, the green (on my browser) www.riflemagazine.com in my earlier post IS clickable, but this big red one isn't (scratch head). I know it works 'cause I go there all the time. Good luck.

R-WEST

"just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't following you"
Old 11-02-2003, 09:50 AM

R-West, Jack:

Kudos to you for giving a hand to a fellow Mauser 1871/84 owner. (Now I'm not the ONLY one on HC! LOL!)

Umm, FWIW I stick to projos in the 300-340 grain range, and to no one's surprise I use IMR 4198 as my ONLY smokeless powder to load with.

Ed H--

So, do you form your own casings out of .348 Wincester, get the new made ones from BELL/Bertram Brass, or do like I do and have the nice folks at Buffalo Arms Co. do the .348 reworking for you?

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:46 PM

Question

Thanks guys for the info. I am a new owner of a Gibbs Rifle Co refurbished 71/84 Mauser. I am a little apprehensive about loading and firing this rifle for the first time even though it appears to be sound. I have only loaded for modern firearms thus far using published recipes. I purchased Bertram brass from MidwayUSA which arrived Thursday. My .446 diameter 370gr cast bullets arrived from Huntingtons today. The .446 diameter bullets seem a little large but all the references I've found indicate this should be the correct diameter. I thought I might start with 28 grains of IMR 4198. Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by ed h; 11-07-2003 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:45 AM

Thumbs up Based on what I have from Frank Barnes...

As long as you're under 35 grains of I-4198, you should be fine.

And the 11.15 x 60 R Mauser uses projos in the .446-.449" range (kinda like how the .45-70 runs in the .457-.459 range, or .455 Webley is in the .454-.457 bracket.) Since they're prolly cast or swaged leads, the slight differences in diameter will be obturationally adjusted upon firing, IMO.

Have fun!

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!