Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 10-24-2003, 07:22 PM

how long does vension deer meat stay good?

I have ground vension deer meat in my freezer from last and 2 years ago. After how long is the meat considered no good?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:13 PM

Wink

When it starts to taste rotten, it's time to throw it out. I never keep mine more than a year. Not because it is bad, but because we add more every year and I give away last years harvest. So far no one has complained about the meat being bad. As long as it is sealed or wraped good so as not to get freezer burn, which will affect the taste, I don't know why it won't last a few years.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:15 AM

I think so too dale..I've eatin plenty of meat that went "hidin" on me in the bottom of the freezer the followin year. As long as it's wrapped good, I dont see where it would go bad.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:58 PM

I've eaten it 3-4 years down the road and even longer I believe. as long as it has stayed frozen and not thawed and frozen a bunch of times and as long as it is not freezer burned.

The meat doesn't last that long aroung my house any more because I smoke it and cure it and make bologna and ham and all that but back before I had a freezer to keep it and all the meat stayed at my parents house, Oh you better believe there where packs that got stuffed back in the back and stayed hidden for several years. The butcher always wrapped it good so freezer burn wasn't a big problem and some of it like I say way at least 4 years old when I ate it and it was still fine
I am PETA's #1 Member
People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 12-08-2003, 06:22 PM

My experience has been how its packaged. Double freezer paper seems to work good and keep it for a year or more. Sigle wrapped, 6 months. Freezer bags, less. The best I have found has been with the Vaccum Bags. Those seem to keep longer than anything. It also seems that if your deer was cooled quickly and not left with guts and blood in for a long time or hauled around showing off, its better. I try to gut and bleed out asap. Then after checking, I quarter and cut out the back straps and put them in a tub and let water trickle over it for 24 hrs. It take all, or most, of the blood out. Meat is almost white. That seems to make a difference in taste and amount of time it keeps. These are not gospel and Im sure others have better ideas, but these things work for me and were all found trial and error.

BTW, the rancher we stay with in Colorado elk hunting showed me a neat trick with elk that I bet would work with deer. He has one of those cold water mountain streams flowing behind his house. We got the elk gutted and bled, and tied a rope to it with the hide on and threw it in the stream for a couple of days to cool and clean it. Way better than any other elk I ever had.

Andy
Old 12-08-2003, 06:52 PM
the dog faced boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy L
BTW, the rancher we stay with in Colorado elk hunting showed me a neat trick with elk that I bet would work with deer. He has one of those cold water mountain streams flowing behind his house. We got the elk gutted and bled, and tied a rope to it with the hide on and threw it in the stream for a couple of days to cool and clean it. Way better than any other elk I ever had.
Sounds like a great idea. I know how cold the water is up there. This time of year through April even tap water is brain freezing cold.