Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 04-06-2004, 04:58 PM

Is there a difference in the 32 auto and a 32 ACP

or is it actually the same cartridge?

Just curious because I have seen it listed and talked about using both terminology?

I am sure this is a beginners rate question but I just am not sure and would like to know.

BTW I have also seen the 32 auto shells with the name 32 Browning on the box. Anyone know what that is all about?
I am PETA's #1 Member
People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 04-06-2004, 05:19 PM

Years ago I saved an interchangability chart from an old Remington brochure.............I knew it would come in handy some day!

The following are all the same:

32 Colt Automatic
32 ACP
32 Automatic
7.65 Automatic pistol
7.65mm Browning

If I am not mistaken, I believe that John Browning developed the cartridge for the Colt firearms company way back when.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:09 PM

The letters ACP stand for : Automatic Colt Pistol
So you can see where 'Automatic' gets shortened to 'auto'.....
32 ACP and 32 auto are the same cartridge.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 04-07-2004, 09:28 AM

Not only that, but that Colt pistol was designed by John Browning!

He even personally designed the cartridge (and also the 45 ACP, BTW), so it's entirely reasonable to call it the 32 Browning.

I think he also designed the 38 Auto (which was later loaded to much higher pressures and renamed the 38 Super), and the dinkoid 25 ACP as well as the guns they were to be used in. Quite the prolific guy, that John Moses!

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 AM

JM Browning was indeed amazing.
At the other end of the cartridge scale, he designed the 50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. He designed it around the time of World War 1 (not 2, 1 ), but it wasn't produced in time for use in the first world war.
That cartridge is still in wide use today, as is the gun Browning designed to use it in.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 04-07-2004, 11:53 AM

I thought they were the same but wasn't sure. I wish I had known for sure at the last gun show I went to they had some awesome looking 32 acp rounds really cheap they were soft nose hollow points with a jacket about 3/4 the way up the slug. I wanted to buy them for my Grand Dad's 32 auto and even though they looked similar The pistol he has is some sort of OLD mil surp in .32 Auto and I did not want to chance damaging it with the wrong cartridge.

Anyway Thanks for the info Now I know for the next time
I am PETA's #1 Member

Old 04-07-2004, 06:35 PM

You might have been disappointed. Lots of military pistols wre designed to feed full-jacket bullets and balk at ones with lead showing.

At least that thought might make you feel better!

Old 04-15-2004, 12:23 AM

Yes, about the ONLY difference between ".32 ACP" and ".32 Auto" tends to be the pricetag on the box..... LOL!

Seriously folks--

What kind of "old mil surp" handgun is it, anyway? That may be of some assistance in figuring out what kind of loads would work best for it.

Agreeing with Rocky here on passing them by prolly being a good thing. By your description I'm thinking they might be 85 grainer JSP's or 100 grainer JSP's. Possibly.

One outfit--can't recall the name at the moment--is running off .32 Auto loaded with a heavier bullet than normal (85 or 100 grains)and a different velocity to boot. THOSE loads are intended solely for use in those M-1895 Nagant revolvers that have the .32 ACP conversion cylinder. (Ejection and feed are handled by use of the loading gate, and cycling the action is accomplished by ratchet & pawl with the 20 pound trigger pull (!!)) Idea here is to have a wheelgun round that will shoot decently using the original as-issued Tula arsenal fixed sights, that performs more like the .32 S&W Long ballistically.

I have a Sauer Model 1913 in .32 auto, and that teeny old decrepit relic of 2 world wars seems to function best with standard velocity .32 ACP like the Federal Classic and so forth. If your weapon's a Sauer M-13 or M-1930, I'd stick with that. The Model 38-H might be a bit more tolerant, likewise the CZ-27 (a.k.a. the "Pistole-27" if it was made during the Nazi occupation.) Used to have a Sauer 38-H, but all I fired through it were the plain vanilla 71 grainers. Also had a CZ, but that one was in .380. It would fire either FMJ's or JHC's, no feed problems except with this one crappy cheapa$$ aftermarket mag I had.

(BTW: Some of the aftermarket mags for the pre-WW2 .32 and .380 pistols leave A LOT to be desired. There's a guy at Phoenix Rod & Gun that has a beautiful old Colt M-1903 who discovered he's only got one decent mag for it. The one that came with the pistol. The others can only hold 1-3 rounds each and still function. Kind of.)

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!

Last edited by Mad Reloader; 04-15-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM

MadRealoader

this is not the actual pistol but this is what it looks like. Pop bought it many many years ago and it is devoid of almost all markings exept serial # and made in spain on the bottom.

this is what I was told about it

That is one of the shorter grip (6 or 7 round) 32acp Ruby varients made after WWI. These were popular in the Eibar manufacturing realm in the 1920s and early 1930s. This particular one is a "Selecta" although you will find them with all different brand names, and many unmarked as to brand or maker.
I am PETA's #1 Member

Last edited by DaMadman; 04-16-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:37 PM

BTW I love that little gun. I shoot it very well considering most people that have shot it can't hit the broad side of a barn from more that 10 yards and I can shoot it out to around 20 - 25 pretty accuratly I like it alot
I am PETA's #1 Member

Old 04-16-2004, 08:39 PM

Thumbs up

Have a gunsmith check it out (if one hasn't done so already), and if it's in GREAT mechanical shape, it may function well with the Winchester silvertip .32 ACP hollowpoints.

Otherwise--stick to plain vanilla .32 ACP FMJ's. The loss of Hatcher's "shape factor" will be more than made up for in reliability. Because if one cannot get rounds to feed, one might as well be using a single shot derringer..........

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,...for we are hunters, and we want our freedom." Chief Sitting Bull

Live Free or Die!

Thee Mad Reloader (Moderator--Back in Time, Cowboy Action, Outdoor Cooking, Subcalibers)

Or is "less chatter, more splatter" more your style? Then go see Varmint Vapor Vestry!
Old 04-16-2004, 09:07 PM

I was afraid it was gonna be an Eibar Ruby. They generally rate at the bottom of the heap for quality.

That said, if yours is still chunkin along, it may be one of the good uns.

Some of the Ruby guns were actually more dangerous to the shooter than anybody out in front of them. "Spontaneous omidirectional disassembly" is what I call it. Their revolvers in particular were infamous. Thank goodness the 32 ACP is a real powderpuff load.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:48 PM

yeah rock I am not sure about the pistol Pop has, I have shot it but not too much, just a few times for a total of maybe 50 rounds and it functioned great. I was very accurate with it but Pop on the other hand couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I am going to pick it up from him one day soon to clean it and shoot up some old ammo he has laying around that is worrying him over the edge. He still thinks that ammo corrodes and blows up when it gets old and I did not have the heart to argue with him about it. I told him the ammo would be fine but he asked me to shoot it up anyway, so I bought him a new box and told him I would stop on the way to the range one day and pick it up and shoot the old ammo for that and old carcano ammo he has.

I think at the price of carcano ammo I am just going to clean the gun and tell him I shot the ammo up and put it in my closet at home. He has a box of Norma carcano ammo in 6.5mm with soft nose bullets on top them, Last I checked they are about $35 - $40 a box. I bought him some cheapo 6.5 carcano ammo to replace the norma stuff in his gun case but they have the pointed 6.5 bullets loaded on top of carcano brass instead of the real round nose bullets they should. I dunno old fashion ideas that get stuck in some people's heads.

All I can do is help him out when I can and love him for who is is, and that I do
I am PETA's #1 Member

Old 04-21-2004, 10:17 AM

He's not that far off, actually.....

Old ammo with deeply corroded cases CAN fail if fired. That was especially true back in the blackpowder cartridge era, but it still is valid even with smokeless.

Corrosion reduces the thickness of the brass, and that can lead to failure on firing. Hot gas and metal fragments in the face are the least of the problems that can occur.

I'd dispose of corroded stuff if it were me. If it's collector stuff or valuiable (like your Norma Carcano), then it might still be worth a little bit, but otherwise, a deep lake is a good place for it. You might even crush them with a big pliers first, to insure that they can't be chambered.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 AM

well The one thing that I forgot to mention is all the ammo he has at the house was purchased by either myself of my Uncle within the last 10 -15 years and non of it is really corroded. The brass might be a little discolored but it is all modern non-corrosive ammo and honestly I know that none of it is more than 15 years old at the very maximum, and non of it is mil surplus or anything like that. In fact the .32 auto ammo he has there I purchased from wal-mart and it is even in a clear PLASTIC ( plastic to pop means it has to be new because they didn't have all that plastic stuff back in the day) box and I couldn't convince Pop that it really wasn't that old, so long and short of it is I will discard anything that looks corroded or not suitable for use but I am pretty sure that most of the 32 auto and the 6.5 carcano ammo is in pretty good shape.

He (Pop) is even concerned about the two boxes of CCI Mini Mags that he has for a couple .22lr guns he has. I bought him a couple "new" boxes and took the old stuff and put it in my ammo box to shoot later.

I also marked all the ammo I have recently bought for him with a perma-marker with the date I put it in the gun case. So there would be no question as to it's age as we are having now.

I do understand what you are talking about with the corrosive primers and the brass getting green and corroded. In fact I have a few old paper .410 shotshells that have the corrosion around the primers that I have tucked away in a safe place where the will never get fired.
I am PETA's #1 Member