Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 12-09-2004, 12:01 PM

CVA issues BEWARE Owners!!!!!!!!!!!

hey guys I am not sure what website I was on 2 nights ago, but it talked about the CVA optima nd Pro. Call CVA because the barrels are exploding in some cases. I say just call and have it checked out. They also talked about the CVA vs. Encore. Apparently the company that makes the CVA barrel is out of Spain and evry one of them is different. This is why one person will love theirs and the next will hate it? whether or not it is true I dunno. Apparently the finish is not near as nice as Thompson because they arent polished near as nicely and the grooves are sloopy. look around for it you should be able to find it. If I find it I will post it. oh and I read that CVA only test their barrels to minimum requirements and not Maximum such as Thompson.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:03 PM

HERE IT IS !

The difference between the Thompson Center and the CVA is a quality issue. The CVA barrel is made in Spain for a company callled BPI. They also produce the barrels in the Winchester and Beartooth rifles you mentioned. There are some that feel the barrel is unable to with stand modern day barrel pressures and could perhaps explode. The BPI barrels are pressure tested to minimum requirements. There are cases where the barrel has ruptured and people have been injured. The Winchester X-150 and CVA Eclipse have had some recent problems with barrels blowing. The reason for this has not been determined.

The bore of the BPI barrel is also not polished as compared to the Thompson Center. This is not always the case in their high end rifles. Some of the low cost BPI barrels are ruff at times in the bore. This can be cured with simple break in procedures or a gentle lapping of the barrel. Thompson Center bores are more likely to be like the next one on the shelf. That is why you hear people say one of their CVA rifles is a great shooter and the next is a terrible shooter. It is because of the difference in the bore quality. Also the BPI bore diameters tend to be a little smaller. This is why the Powerbelts shoot so well out of most of them and some find a hard time loading certain sabot combinations.

CVA uses a lower quality metal and parts in their lock then the Thompson Center. They (BPI rifles) if used extensively will actually wear out. Whether their Optima could, who knows. I would doubt it. Also before you get all excited, there are people that have shot and used their CVA rifles for 20 years and they have not worn out yet. And these same people will shoot another 20 years with the CVA rifle. Some swear by them some swear at them.

Thompson Center on the other hand is a pressure tested barrel. They know the limits of the barrel and advise their loads according to their information. Many people worry about the new shooter who overloads the CVA and puts the wrong projectile down the barrel only to find it explodes, so be sure and read your manual (as you should with any rifle you own or use) and follow the guidelines. Be sure you also understand the guidelines. I was told that like Knight, Thompson Center also uses Green Mountain Barrels but I can not confirm that fact.

The locks and actions of the Thompson Center are very high quality. As are the trigger assembly. That is why some of the low end rifles of CVA & Traditions, have a terrible trigger pull. Thompson Center has a very high quality trigger as does Knight Rifles which uses a Timney trigger in most of their rifles.

So the difference is, basically an issue of overall quality of the rifles. There is nothing wrong with a CVA rifle. I would not be afraid to shoot one as long as you follow the guidelines of the company. Some people on the other hand are afraid to shoot them because of the current barrel problems which are under investigation.

Warranty on both rifles are lifetime. Be sure and check your CVA warranty and see if it is not a limited lifetime warranty. I have never had a problem with the CVA company and their warranty. Thompson Center has one word to describe their warranty and customer service and that is outstanding!! You have a problem, and they have a solution whether it is replacing the barrel or the whole rifle.

A good example is I bought a T/C flintlock a while back. It was used but in perfect shape. I was not happy with the way the lock was performing so I sent it to T/C to have it looked at. They said it was the old style and there was a better model out now for the Hawkins rifle so they sent me a new lock which included the frizzen, hammer, springs, and main plate. That is customer service. CVA will honor the warranty of the rifle I was told if you are the original owner.... I have not heard otherwise.

Both are great rifles. If you want a rifle that will function perfect and last you a life time (they guarantee it) and it might be the only rifle you own, then get the Thompson Center. If your looking for an extra week a year rifle or an occasional trip to the target range, that shoots good and not going to break the bank to purchase, then get a CVA....
Old 12-09-2004, 05:58 PM

Well I have a CVA Firebolt Ultramag in the 50cal and 5 deer tags to go with it so in another day I will tell ya how it shoots lol
Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 AM

Our B/P season opended yesterday and I went out after work for about 3 hours. Got a nice shot at 150 yards and knocked that deer right off her feet . I have four more to get between now and the last of January.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:29 AM

hey guys I am not sure what website I was on 2 nights ago, but it talked about the CVA optima nd Pro. Call CVA because the barrels are exploding in some cases
============================================

Anybody can say that such & such ML barrel exploded.

I want proof! I need a website address! I need to read the post! I need to either see pictures or have the opportunity to PM the individual after I join the site. I am a member of 22 ML sites & I have not read anything of this nature.

Sorry Chaney! Won't believe a word you typed without some-sort of proof. Please provide the forum webpage. That way, folks can be forewarned in the proper manner.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:58 PM

Years ago, 25 to 30, there was an artical about blowing up barrels in Muzzle Blast. This one gun writer was telling how dangerious they were. In the next 4 issues one of the founders of Green Mountain barrels did a series of articals on test he had run on muzzle loading barrels. These test were all done with black powder, there were no substitutes back then, and what he proved was that you have to be trying to kill yourself, or be extreemly stupid to blow up a muzzle loader. The easiest way to blow one up is to not seat the bullet all the way down. As far as putting in to much BP, you can fill the barrel and not blow one up with a single ball in it. Now if you put in alot of powder and alot of balls it can be done, ie. someone trying to kill themselves or else very stupid. Just guessing, It might be easier with some of the new BP substitutes, but unless your useing one with smokeless powder my guess would be that you would still have to do something real stupid to blow one up. BUT THEN, There are alot of stupid people out there.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:10 PM

I am sorry, I do not have proof. Oh and I posted that for info purposes only so you dont have to all defensive because you dont believe in the word...QUALITY. Show me a website that shows they do test the barrels to max pressure. You wont find one because they dont. They tested to minimum according to what I have read. again FYI that is what this website is all about. Helping others, not calling them liars. Let me guess, you own one and payed to much for it and now you are in denial and regret? Thats ok, we have all done it at one time. Have a good day.

P.S. If you feel that strongly about it, putr 150 grains in her and fire a couple times in a row. If it works fine if blows up......... its your face, not mine. all I am saying is call them and make sure your ok. C-YA
Old 12-12-2004, 11:40 PM

Hate to disapoint you Chaney, but I only shoot T/Cs.

However, I am a muzzleloading reporter for all the people who post in 22 forums that I'm a member in & thread/posts like yours should be deleted for telling blatant lies. I am no supporter of CVA rifles/Spanish barrels. I know all about their proof marks. It's irrelevant at this point because the discussion at hand involves your lies about Optima barrels.

Mr. Moderator!

Please read this thread & please see fit to delete it. Maybe even issue a PM warning to the poster (Chaney) who started it.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:32 AM

I read an article on another site that I believe is the one being referred to above. Sorry, but I can't remember where I saw it.

The person reporting the blown barrels was one of those, 'I have shot black powder for X number of years, I am perfect, I don't make mistakes, CVA is junk because the barrel blew up with Mr. Perfect at the trigger.

Randy Wakeman...Mr. I hate CVA...chimed in with his words about how bad CVA is also.

I shoot a CVA Optima Pro and I think it is great. I don't believe that if you shoot recommended loads...nothing over 150 gr. of 777 pellets or pyrodex...that the CVA's will blow up.

David.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:48 AM

wow!

hey guys take it easy. I can see both sides of the story, it is perfectly acceptable to want to read the post on the other site (777). But at the same time Chaney did say it was just a heads-up and you could call CVA. Either way I say take it easy, not a topic worth arguing,
Any how if you search huntchat alone i think you will find that we cant draw any conclusions about CVA experiences except that they are (inconsistent).
Be nice (its xmas).....go buy some one a T/C
kt
Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 AM

I personally own both a Optima Pro and an Encore. I called just to make sure there were not any issues. Mine was ok. However if you a CVA in 1995 or 1996. There is an open recall. Call and give your serial number and they will take care of you.

Customer Service Department

Connecticut Valley Arms (CVA)
5988 Peachtree Corners East
Norcross, GA 30071
Phone: (770) 449-4687
Fax (24 hours): (770) 242-8546
Email: info@cva.com
Office Hours: 8:30am - 4:00pm, ET, M-F
Old 12-13-2004, 11:44 AM

Here is one article

Here is another Barrels pressures

Just click on the above, it shoulld take you to what I read

I am not trying to scare you guys, I just want to see anyone get hurt because of ignorence. Thats all, have a good one guys I am finished with this subject. this should explain everything you need to know.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:47 AM

"nothing over 150 grains of 777"

Quote:
I shoot a CVA Optima Pro and I think it is great. I don't believe that if you shoot recommended loads...nothing over 150 gr. of 777 pellets or pyrodex...that the CVA's will blow up.
If you ram down 150 grains of 777 your one of them, because none of these guns are designed for 150 grains of 777, except for the savage. Besides that, if in fact someone does make a mistake, I would find it hard to argue the fact that there's more of a chance of having something catastophic happen with a CVA in your hand. I for one am not taking a chance on ripping off half my face to save a couple hundred bucks.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Catfishing Mazter

What Chaney101 Posted was a Warning , And after being called a Liar, He produced the documents in question. He was only warning us Muzzleloader shooter's.

Now there are to be NO PERSONAL ATTACK'S, Period. Im not PM'ing anyone either. Now I have read all that has been posted about this and Chaney101 had a valid topic going with a warning. No need for anyone to over react. He did provide us with the Links he read, Plus more info for other users of these gun's.

I for one can Thank you Chaney101, even though I dont shoot or even own that Gun. Someone might be saved if they have that gun and call the Company for the recall info. Thanks for posting it.

If You choose not to believe someone, Dont get bent out of shape to quick. If there is any more name calling I will shut the thread down, and send it to the Owner.

Come on guys, this is nothing to argue over.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:36 PM

Re: "nothing over 150 grains of 777"

Quote:
Originally posted by WT Kevorkian
If you ram down 150 grains of 777 your one of them, because none of these guns are designed for 150 grains of 777, except for the savage. Besides that, if in fact someone does make a mistake, I would find it hard to argue the fact that there's more of a chance of having something catastophic happen with a CVA in your hand. I for one am not taking a chance on ripping off half my face to save a couple hundred bucks.
I did not mean and do not load 150 gr. of loose 777 into my Optima. I do and will load three 777 pellets and shoot them all day.

David.