Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 10-29-2003, 08:21 AM

Location: Danville, IN (Behind enemy lines for this Kentucky Wildcat)
Thumbs up Results from Unit 16C, New Mexico

I arrived out in “No Where” New Mexico on Thursday afternoon 9 Oct. I ran into my old friends brother on my way back to our meeting place. We set up camp and were about 45 miles from anything resembling a store; probably 75 miles north of Truth & Consequences, New Mexico. We set up camp and then went out scouting that afternoon.

We didn’t see anything that afternoon, but before I arrived he had seen a herd with some nice bulls that Thursday Morning. Friday morning, my friends brother and myself scouted down a mountain and up and on top of another mountain. I found a nice 4x4 mulie skull cap and rack, but no elk sign. Then we went to the area behind where Ivan had seen the elk that Thursday morning. Sign was everywhere, tracks and excrement still fresh. We made a plan and with a few alterations we stuck to it.

My friend arrived Friday night, looking pretty resilient, after another rough night of being single!!!!! We got up Saturday morning, the first day of the season, and my friends brother headed to approach the area from the North; my friend and I headed together to approach the area from the West and South East.

When we arrived at our area it was dark with a full moon, no need for a flashlight. We went our separate was and soon heard six or seven bulls bugling. So many in fact, we all thought that other hunters were out there already…but there couldn’t have been. There were no other vehicles. But there were loads of hunters in the area. I even heard two bulls fighting. Wow!!!

Aout 730 I heard a shot over in my friends brother’s direction, a few minutes later another. Then a few minutes later I heard a different shot from the same direction. I’m thinking “I hope one of those was him.” Well the elk were still bugling and I picked out the last bull (closest too me) and started stalking. I was headed down into some Ponderosa pines. He would bugle and I would make my way in his direction, after a while I would stop and wait. He’d bugle and I would make my way in his direction. I break into a cow elk call a few times and sometimes all the bulls would bugle, other times maybe one or two (awesome). One time when I had stopped to glass for the bull I sat down and was looking down under the bottom branches of the pine trees (I was on a down hill slope of a mountain) and all the way at the bottom of the mountain something moved. It was about 120 yards away and I got a good look. It was the bull I was stalking. His antlers were so far back he could’ve scratched his butt. No way to shoot because not only was it thick but, I was practically laying flat on my back looking down through my feet to see him. He meandered his was out of there and I eventually made my way down there. I marked the spot with my GPS, figuring I would be back there over the next few days, and started to make my way back to my pack which I had dropped earlier because it was making to much noise. About that time I heard a shot over in my friends direction, a few seconds later another. I was hoping he got one, it was about 855 in the morning. I was about 2/3rds of the way up the mountain just casually walking along watching my GPS. Then to my right I heard an elk bugle, I pocketed my GPS and ran about 40 yards. I heard the bugle again. It was about 80 yards away on another mountain side. I started glassing the mountain through the pines. Then I saw a cow elk, then another, then a calf, then a cow, then the bull. I dropped my binoculars and flipped my gun off safe. As I was standing behind two pines the elk were coming from my right. I knew they would either come in front of me or cut to my right along the side of the mountain. Things were quite for a few minutes so I slowly and methodically leaned forward to look. Crap!!! The lead cow was staring right at me. So I didn’t look her in the eye and slowly lead back. She relaxed and started to make her way right in front of me at about 60-65 yards. Then the next cow, then the calf…I needed to raise my gun but couldn’t because I could see all their eyes. Which meant they could see me. I needed to get my gun up because the bull was about to expose itself. Then the good lord was with me. All their heads went behind trees and I brought the gun up to my shoulder and looked through the scope. I had a square area of of about 2 feet to shoot through the pines. I saw the cow, then the bull. My 7mmMag let loose a 160 grain nosler partition bullet and it hammer the big bull; right in the left side of his chest just behind the shoulder blade. Instincts took over, I lowered the gun and chambered another round. By the time I had the gun up I heard a thud, then when I got the scope to my eye all I saw was four feet in the air. No need for a follow up shot. I walked over and said a prayer to god thanking him for this opportunity. It was 925 in the morning. My hunt ended four days early.

Unfortunately, when I dropped my pack I left my gutting knife. I admired my bull for about 15 minutes. Then went and picked up my pack and headed onto the truck to see if my friend was there. When I got there no one was there, but mother nature came calling. About 20 minutes later he showed up. We traded stories and then went back to get his truck and ATV. Then we reached his brother on the radio and passed on our good news and his to us.

We got all the elk out and back to camp about 530 that evening. What an evening it was.

In the photo, mine is on the left.

Nothing else matters

Last edited by BlueStew; 10-29-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:46 AM

Photo

I obviously haven't mastered the posting photo part of the posting a message. Here's one photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heads.jpg (134.2 KB, 484 views)

Nothing else matters
Old 10-29-2003, 08:56 AM

and another

One more for viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headssideleft.jpg (199.3 KB, 483 views)

Nothing else matters
Old 10-29-2003, 09:24 AM

Nice bulls, glad you had a great hunt.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up Great hunt and story

Congratulations and a very well done.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:08 PM

Great Story

My brother and I have applied there the last couple of years but not lucky in drawings. How many times did you apply before drawing?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Catfishing Mazter

Thumbs up Great Story

Sounds like you had a great time, and Good Luck as well. Nice Bull's. And thats No Bull
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 AM

Fish, this was my first time. But then again, I was considered a resident when I applied. I just retired from the Air Force and was stationed out there. Still the select rate for residents for this area in the first rifle season is only about 15%. Nonresidents select rate is about 6%. Not an easy draw.
My retirement was delayed from March until Sept because I deployed for Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. My 90 day deployment turned into 296 days. When my wife found out I was drawn, she politely inquired if I would still go after being deployed (and at that time not knowing when I would return). My reply was hell yeah!!!! Simply because of the difficulty in drawing this area.

Nothing else matters
Old 11-05-2003, 11:38 PM

Thumbs up Really Appreciate your Service

BlueStew,

When you're on a roll, you're on a roll. Glad things worked out for you.

I would like to think the hunt results were at least a bit of a reward for the service you have provided to the rest of us.

Also appreciate your priorities.

Good luck w/the future.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:13 PM

The worst thing about this hunt was that I bought a new box of shell because I only had 3 left and I only shot once!!!

Nothing else matters