Hunt Chat

Hunt Chat (http://www.huntchat.com/index.php)
-   Archived Posts (http://www.huntchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Remington 209 Ignition Conversion Kit (http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=11205)

stickbow 08-23-2001 09:46 PM

Awhile back, there was some discussion about converting Remington ML's to 209 primer ignition.

Well, Cabela's is now offering a conversion kit priced at $40.00. I ordered and just recieved mine, and it basically is just a replacement firing pin (different striker face) and a nipple designed for 209's. Looks fairly easy to switch over.

I haven't installed it yet, but will report back with my results once I change it over and test it on the range. The extra fire sure can't hurt, and it may make a great muzzleloader almost perfect IMHO!

08-23-2001 10:22 PM

I've fired my remington 700 mls many hundreds of times with no problems.Did you have a problem with yours?As these are not magnum rifles I do'nt see the advantage.What was your reasons for ordering this kit.Are there any advantages I'm not aware of?Your freind in hunting.Mike

08-25-2001 06:48 AM

The biggest advantage is the hotter primer will ensure that the pellets will burn... when using pellets :D

stickbow 08-26-2001 07:43 AM

No, Mike,

No complaints or problems whatsoever with my ML....just can't ignore the fact that "the hotter the better" is the
way to go when talking muzzleloading ignition.

Like Clyde said....it will definetly be an assist when using the harder pellets, and another feature I like in the 209's is the increased water resistance of the primer over no. 11 caps. (They're also easier to handle with fingers as opposed to the tiny caps)

You just can't seem to soak a 209 enough to make it not go "POP"!! (or at least I haven't heard of one yet)

As for doing the conversion, it wasn't quite as easy as the directions make it sound....but what ever is? Overall it seems to be a "relatively" easy and inexpensive "upgrade"
of an already excellent muzzleloader.

It's also reversible should you not care for it for any reasons. So, what's to lose?

Hope to take it to range one day this week.......

08-26-2001 08:59 AM

Hey let us know if your pattern improved or found a need to adjust your load... anything different you may find that can help others decide if they too would like to change :D

08-26-2001 04:59 PM

Do me a favor and e-mail your results to me.I also like to tinker with my rifles.

stickbow 08-26-2001 07:09 PM

You got it, guys......

I'll definetly post or e-mail you my findings if the conversion to the 209 system makes any noticeable changes (pro or con) to the gun's function and/or performance.

This week looks pretty hectic, but I'll get to the range as soon as I can.

stickbow 09-03-2001 07:03 PM

Finally got to the range today to shoot my Remington 700ML w/ the 209 conversion in place. What a day of shooting it turned out to be! Actually completely dissasembled/cleaned my gun 3x during the long shoot-out.

Initial impressions of the 209 is it was well worth it. Definetly a lot more bang than a no. 11 cap, and alot easier to handle. Even with my thick, clumsy fingers putting a primer in place wasn't too difficult, although if wearing gloves I'd need to use some kind of capper. I'm happy with it.

I experimented with several different bullet types, and found the ones I'd shot in the past shot as well or better than previously. Best groups were with the new Winchester Partition Gold sabots (260 gr.) ahead of 2 Clean Shot pellets. Several came in at under an inch @ 100 yards for 3 shots, averaging about 1 1/2" overall.

Barnes 300 gr. Expanders shot extremely well also, but I just about ruptured myself loading them, even thru a clean barrel. No way I could ever get a 2nd shot down the barrel w/o several solvent patches first. Don't care how accurate they are...not practical for hunting use IMHO.

Also had good results from Hornady .44 cal 300 gr. sabots (2" avg groups) but the CVA Powerbelts performed terrible!! Couldn't get 2 to hit within 3-4" of each other on consecutive shots. Definetly NOT in my loaders for this particular rifle!

A good day at the range though......hope to try some different conicals next. I've had some incredible groups with White's 465 gr. "BuckBuster" bullets and am waiting on delivery of a batch any day now.

Ahhhh, but I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!!!!

Underclocked 09-05-2001 04:48 PM

209 Conversion

Reckon I'm missing it but I can't find that conversion kit at Cabela's. Got a catalog number or something? Thanks.

JJ 09-07-2001 06:20 AM

Underclocked,
Check out Cabela's fall master catalog volume I, page 398 I believe but may not be exact page. Its on a page with a number of different 209 conversion kits for other guns. Hope this is helpfull.

Underclocked 09-08-2001 09:09 AM

Thanks and it would help a lot had I not give my catalog away to a friend.

Underclocked 09-10-2001 04:38 PM

Conversion Kit

NOTE- below part turns out to be extra 209 nipple. Conversion kit is HB-21-4451 and is 39.99

Go to Cabela's online and do a search for part number HB-21-4452 as was provided me by a member on another forum (Missouri Conservation Commission's "Conservation Cafe" forum)
If this is the whole kit, you have to try it!! Heck, try it anyway.

Underclocked 09-19-2001 02:43 PM

Just a follow-up on this

Got my conversion kit in yesterday and installed it last night. Only suffered two wounds that bled. Pain in the butt to install, however in my opinion was well worth it even though I've only thus far popped one primer in it to test it.

Test passed.

I was AMAZED to see how much corrosion was inside the bolt of my rifle on the original firing pin assembly and spring. I had thoroughly cleaned and oiled the internals of that bolt last fall but the rust accumulated anyway. If for no other reason, elimination of corrosive caps is a very desireable byproduct of the conversion.