Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 11-13-2001, 09:56 PM

T/C Renegade .54 cal

I've been considering muzzleloading for awhile now. I've been doing alot of reading and asking alot of questions(some on this forum). I even ordered a couple books about muzzleloadin(which haven't come yet....)
While on my quest for muzzleloader knowledge, I stumbled across a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought a T/C Renegade .54 cal over the weekend. It came with all the equipment, so I took it out to the range. I(and my brother)shot a whole box of Hornady Great Plains bullets(came with the gun) Man, what a thrill. I can't wait to go again.
The gun needs to be sighted in and I need to purchase more "bullets" I'm really leaning towards patch and ball. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? or anyone have any tips or comments for a beginner?
Old 11-13-2001, 10:05 PM

I have a T/C Renegade in .50 cal, also left handed Great gun!!! Still haven't shot it very much yet I use Hornady 240 gr. Sabots. Work good so far
Old 11-14-2001, 05:40 AM

My brother has been shooting a TC Renegade in .54 for 20+ years. He shoots the TC Maxi Ball in 435 grains and is rock solid with it. If you read any of my ML posts you'll know that I am a big advocate of heavy bullets and the 435 is just about right. The molds are cheap and he molds his own bullets. All you do is grease the bullet and jam it in the gun. No patches or anything. If you but the bullets retail they come pre-greased. all you do is measure the powder and stuff a bullet. If I was going to shoot a side hammer gun, I'd go out of my way to find one of those.

Jabba
Old 11-14-2001, 07:53 AM
hawk

Congrats on the new rifle, you will love it. I think that rifle has a 1 in 48" twist. That twist rate should shoot ball and bullets ok. I have a .50 cal Lyman with a 1 in 48" twist and find that it likes balls best. A friend has a .54 with the same twist and it shoots balls best too. Try some .530 balls with a .015 patch and start at about 90 gr of FFG or Pyrodex.
I have been at it for 15 years and I am still learning. There are some sites on the net devoted to muzzleloading only, they have a lot of info to sort through. Good luck and keep it clean.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:53 PM

I have three of the Renegades in .54 cal. Last Saturday I took a 6x6 bull elk with a 91 yard shot with a 430 grain maxiball that I cast. It went through both sides taking out the lungs.

Contact me by e-mail at: krupinski@qwest.net if you want to talk some about that rifle.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited by Thomas Krupinski; 11-14-2001 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:38 PM

I have a T/C Renegade 54 flintlock that I'm just getting ready to start shooting again. When I lived in PA I took 7 or 8 whitetails with it in the late muzzleloading seasons. It was a blast!! I'm going to try for antelope with it next year which should be quite a challenge. Incidentally, after I had mine for a couple years the stock got a crack in it. I called T/C and they replaced it, no questions asked. I've shot nothing but patched round balls out of mine, and found that for whitetails I was better off using a little lighter charge of powder...if memory serves I think I did best using 90 grains.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:14 PM

There is nothing wrong with the T/C Renegade. .54 cal. is more than you need for deer, but if you ever want to go after Elk or Moose you`ve got what you need. Your gun will probably be most accurate with patch and round ball, and you should try different thickness of patching to see with is best. I would start by trying .010, .012 and .015.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:30 PM

I have a .54 caliber T/C Renegade flintlock and had a problem with the sight alignment from the factory. I sent the 28" barrel back and they replaced it with a 31" barrel that has a 1:66" twist for round ball. Since I shoot mostly round ball this was swell. All the best...
Gil