Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 07-14-2002, 11:11 PM

Question 16ga waa16 loads?

Could anyone please offer some 16ga shot shell loads using the waa16 wad? I have a bag of these but can't find data that uses them, even Winchesters data for the 16 uses Remington wads!? I am looking for loads in the 7500 to 8500 psi range. Any powder will do, but if they exist, loads with Reddot or unique would be nice, since I have it. I'll also ask if 16 gauge wads are hard to find? I've been advised to load my Baker shotgun to low pressure. Thanks to all, ben-t
Old 07-25-2002, 10:16 PM

Dear ben-t

Before your question slips off the board I'll have to try and answer it although for the life of me why would you want to load 16ga shells!? The 16 is dead and shotshell reloading is the exclusive provance of trap and skeet shooters who use 12s and 20s and now buy Italian and American overunders. They don't even need to reload their shells!?

First Winchester nolonger makes WAA 16 wads so load data must be retrieved from old books. Use Federal 209 primers and Unigue or Herco powder to get the pressure levels you want. The shop that sold you the WAA16s really saw you coming. Try Remington R16 wads with the Unique and Fed 209s.

Please in the future keep your questions to loads that push the 3000fps+ mark and pattern like a 7mm.

16gauge..hehehehe.......

Sincerely,

ben-t
Old 07-26-2002, 09:41 AM

The 16 got you talking to yourself, ben?

I looked around, but couldn't find any WAA16 loads. But I don't load for the scattergun, so I have very little data at all - much less for the 16.

I'd kinda disagree that the 16 is dead. At the 2002 SHOT Show, there were several new guns introduced for the 16!! It seems like the Cowboy Shooting craze has resurrected a whole passle of calibers that were as dead as can be. I call Cowboy shooting the Lazarus game!

Is there a real need for the 16? Maybe not. Some folks argue that the 12 and 20 overlap in loads, so why have a 16? But with the 16 you need only one shotgun that covers BOTH the jobs of the 20 and the 12 (or at least most of those jobs). If you shoot neither ultralight loads nor ultraheavy ones, the 16 actually makes a lot of sense. It's kinda like those new trucks that convert from pickup to SUV.

Visit me at my Reloading Room webpage!

Get signed copies of my Vietnam novels at "Baggy Zero Four" "Mike Five Eight"
Old 07-26-2002, 10:40 AM

Alive and Well

The 16ga ia A-OK. It will do any thing the rest will do. Remington is making the Wingmaster and will be offering the multi chocked barrels in the near future. I'll admit if I were buying a new shotgun it would be a 20ga, but I like having the only 16ga in the pack.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:12 PM

I love the 16 ga. I hunted my first three dove seasons with it. I still break more birds with the 16 than the 12.

I've been saving my 16 hulls, but haven't loaded any yet. The 16 is a fine round, but then, I love the .218 Bee in rifles too. Classic
Old 07-30-2002, 09:01 AM

Thumbs up

The 16 gauge rocks. I ahve an OLD remy model 11 in 16 and it shoots like a dream (Better than my mossy 12 for skeet, better than my H&R 20 for bird.)

GoodOlBoy

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16 KJV

Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 8:15 KJV

"The gun has been called the great equalizer, meaning that a small person with a gun is equal to a large person, but it is a great equalizer in another way, too. It insures that the people are the equal of their government whenever that government forgets that it is servant and not master of the governed." - 40th President of the United States Ronald Reagan 1911-2004
Old 08-02-2002, 09:12 PM

16 ga

I am also a fan of the 16. I do have info for these wads, as well as a stock of them, and a stock of AA hulls as well for the future. If you are still interested in the data, post a reply and I will be glad to give you what I have. Soreshoulder
Old 08-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Admin Varminator

Talking

Hey Sore Shoulder, welcome to the Hood.
And thanks for being willing...

Allen
Old 08-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Banned

Welcome..

To HuntChat.com. Nice to see your post.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:42 AM

16 gauge reloading data

The Lyman shotshell manuals show reloading data for the 16 gauge. The back of the bags of Winchester 16 gauge Double A blue wads list about 30 loads of various powder and shot weights with pressures from 8,400 to 10,800 p.s.i. The velocity range is from 1,165 to 1,240 f.p.s. Most of the data is for Winchester 540 and 571 powder. This certainly meets my hunting requirements.

The 16 gauge is my preference for all upland small game hunting. I managed to acquire several Remington 870, 11-48 and 1100 shotguns in 16 gauge along with a number of Ithaca Model 37s. MEC makes the 600Jr. and Sizemaster presses in 16 gauge and I have cleaned the shelves of all the reloadable 16 gauge ammo in a local Lanco store.

I would be glad to share this reloading information with you. All the best...
Gil
Old 08-03-2002, 02:59 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks All!!

I have sorted through some old Winchester brochures and come up with some loads in the pressure range I needed. As far as the sixteen goes I think it's a great shell. For any one who is wonder why- the guns are small and light and the shell certainly holds its' own. I've kill more pheasant stone rolling dead in the air with my little 16 sxs than I ever did with my 12. and the 16 is shorter lighter. As I mentioned before I can't figure out why we need a new belted this and a WSM that but can't keep the sweet sixteen going strong?
All the best,
ben-t