Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 08-05-2003, 11:39 AM

Is it safe to eat?

I hunt in an area that is full of ticks during the summer months. If I shoot a deer here is there a chance that is might have a disease. Or will the ticks be dead by October? I don't really know much about ticks and diseases of deer, and what is safe to eat. Should I be worried about it? Could I get sick? Should I get the kill checked or something? I am worrying now about the ticks because yesterday I went out to my spot and I knew there were ticks but I had seen no sign of them. Until I was laying in bed and felt something crawling on my leg. I don't think it buried itself in me or bit me. Just freaked me out.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:51 AM

If you're thinking about Lyme disease, you won't get that from cooked venison- don't think you'll get ANY diseases from eating cooked venison.
Now, the ticks themselves can give you Lyme disease if they bite you.
And, if you have a cut on your finger, and field dress a deer, you can get Lyme disease from blood transfer. A set of latex gloves will cure that potential problem. Keeps your hands clean, too.
George Washington
Jack@huntchat.com
Old 08-05-2003, 03:46 PM

I do not think there are any CONFIRMED cases of anyone getting lymes from handling raw deer meat.
However there is a high risk that if you are bitten by a tick that you could get it. I am not telling you to run to the Dr. for an atibiotic everytime that you get bit by a tick but look Lymes Disease up on the net and if you suspect that you have any of the symptoms get to a Dr. It is a very loooong term illness that can take years and years to slowly distroy your body. Achy joints affects the heart affect the nerves causes fatigue and all kinds of nasty stuff.

Other wise pay no attention to those little parasites
I am PETA's #1 Member
People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 08-06-2003, 07:42 AM

5pt -

I really wouldn't worry about disease in deer. If it is acting like a normal deer should - alert, cautious - and it looks healthy - good coat, clean liver - it is most likely to be just fine.

If you see a deer that is lathargic, dull eyes and coat - don't shoot it, but notify the game warden immediately so they can take care of it.

Remember, thousands of deer are killed and eaten every year. Very, very few people ever get sick from eating venison.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:45 AM

The hunting lease that I used to hunt on had an outbreak of some type of disease. There were a lot of dead deer found in the woods that year and a couple that were shot during season had really messed up hooves, the hooves actually looked like they were peeling away and falling off. I guess it was painfull too because most of the der that were shot that had messed up hooves had raw or calused knees at the first joint up, almost like they were walking on their knees.
Some of us played on the side of caution and disposed of the deer and a couple guys had them butchered and ate them, I didn't hear of anyone getting sick or anything so I guess the meat was ok.

But anyway I have shot butchered and ate lots of deer from Maryland that had many ticks on them when they were killed and I have never been sick from it, that I know of
I am PETA's #1 Member
People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 08-07-2003, 10:31 AM
malus peior pessimus unus

What Jack said.