Hunt Chat  

Go Back   Hunt Chat > Archives > Archived Posts

Old 09-25-2003, 09:12 AM

how to build a wood bridge

i got a pretty remote cabin and wanted to make 2 bridges to cross a stream, one span 20 feet, 3-4 feet over creek strong enuf for a car or at least a snowmobile and a quad, and another 30-ft walking bridge made outta log anyone ever build anything like that and got some good plans/pix?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:51 AM

A friend of mine "built" a bridge to drive across by buying a flatbed trailer for semi tractor. I'm not sure how he got it to sit across the creek, which is about 20 feet deep (it is a run off creek and mostly dry), but he anchored it with massive cables around 4 oak trees. the trees were about 4-5 foot in diameter. The bridge is very effective.

One thing worries me, though. I often wonder how long it will be before the runoff washes out the sides the trailer is sitting on.

You may want to check with your county extension agent to find out how to build a bridge.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:28 PM

Our local ATVing club wanted to build a bridge because they were getting in trouble for running bikes through the ecologically sensitive river. (Yeah, every river is ecologically sensitive, I know, but anyway....)
They first contacted the authorities from the gov't environment department who came out and had a look at the situation and then told them what they MUST do -- no variations allowed.
Bridge had to be seven feet above the high-water mark and any supports such as poles had to allow for the free flow of water.
The club got the local power company to volunteer to help by hauling out their post-hole digger and planting eight massive 18-inch-around telephone polls about 15 feet into the ground. These are huge poles, the type used for building power lines through the wilderness. After sinking the poles, we cut them all so that they were a little more than seven feet sticking up.
Next we got an old box car from the railroad and volunteer welders and cutters cut off the top of it. This will be the bridge bed. We cut holes in it to allow rainwater to drain out. Of course it will have to be planked and ramps leading up to it and down the other side will have to be built and secured to the rest of the structure.
When done, this thing will span about 20 feet and should last about a zillion years, come hell or high water, literally. The whole thing never cost us a penny -- all volunteers. Albeit some wouldn't "volunteer" unless there was beer involved.)
Old 09-25-2003, 02:35 PM

I've got an idea, but it involves a bit of steel instead of logs. I've also got a stream out back, although I sold my land on the other side. Anyway have you ever heard of bar joists, or they might also be called steel trusses? They come in a variety of sizes and are quite strong compared to how much they weigh. They support the roofs for a variety of building designs. They are around from salvaged buildings. I'll bet two or three spaced 2 foot apart would serve as a footbridge. You could probably get a quad on it also. If you consider the snowload they are designed to withstand, a quad is quite light in comparison.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Vivere Paratus

Foster, just a quick question, how can telephone poles be used for power lines? Shouldnt power poles be employed Sorry, my ties to the Phone Company has me using the correct terminology otherwise Paw slaps me up the head

We built a bridge that involved 4 telephone poles and 2x8 boards. We laid the poles over the CC ditch, then used the 2x8's as planks across the bridge. It supported a 6x8 Gator ATV easily.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 PM

CabinGuy,
Looks like we have our work cut out for us.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:29 PM

Talking

IchWarrior,
They's all power poles to us laymen. Not to be confused with linemen.
Anyways, hope the bridge project goes well. I'd advise you to consult with the guberment environmental officials to save yourself a heck of a lot of trouble later on, that is if your government is strict about these things like my alleged government is.
Meanwhile, a neighbouring ATV club in Nova Scotia got so many hassles over trying to build a bridge over a river, they struck on a neat idea. See below.

"Bridge? We don' need no stinkin' bridge!"
Old 12-05-2003, 12:19 PM

Almost done!

Total cost so far to our club: nothing but sweat equity and the donated efforts of local businesses and tradesmen. Oh, and several beers.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 PM

Here's how we did it:

http://www.albertcountytrailblazers....om/photo4.html

And:

http://www.albertcountytrailblazers....om/photo5.html
Old 12-07-2003, 06:57 PM

built the bridge!

gotta get a picture for you guys!
we ended up cutting down 2 medium sized trees draggerd em through the creek with a 4wd quad, and then cut smaller logs and laid them across.
ended up being more of a footbridge than something you could drive across.